Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Drivers Not working Why

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2012 8:36:00 AM

Twice now I have install a NEW PCI-E video. I have removed the old drivers first as you should. turned off computer, unplugged,unscrewed,replaced NEW card, boot in to windows, Install drivers from CD, reboot windows, windows loading screen pops up Blue line start to move across, then it stops ,nothing. Wait there is more. I reset it go into windows in safe mode works fine uninstall drivers, window auto detects video card nice it installs drivers reboots same thing. AM I MISSING SOMETHING ? i have this same problem with 2 total different machines. Same trouble I bet its me :(  plz help me. im in windows XP but the other was Win 7 both geforce nVidia
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 8:53:35 AM

Here's your problem possibly "Install drivers from CD,"
Never use drivers off a CD, they are almost always outdated.

Uninstall drivers and download new ones from here:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Also, use a driver sweeper to remove old drivers:
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

So uninstall and clean out old drivers, reboot.

Load windows install drivers, reboot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:00:57 AM

Old or new driver either should install fine if there wasn’t other problems.

What kind of antivirus are you running? Could be the cause, try disabling it before installing.

If you’re going to download newer drivers to see, make sure it is for your operating system and system type of either 32bit/64 bit.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:04:55 AM

1) Install driver sweeper.
2) Uninstall drivers by using the control panel.
3) Reboot the computer.
4) enter safe mode and use driver sweeper to delete your old drivers.
5) Install the latest Nvidia drivers and be sure to use the custom installation and tick the clean installation option.
Like here http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1408/new_dri...

-Fastreaction

m
l
August 17, 2012 9:05:09 AM

What would i do
First uninstall the old video card
Second Unplug old video card
THird Plug The new video card
Fourth DOwnload the newest drivers form your drivers faq http://www.geforce.com/drivers if NVIDIA

Fifth Install Drivers (EXPRESS INSTALL)
And finally reboot your pc
I am done
(THIS IS THE PROCEDURE THAT I FOLLOWED FOR MY HD7970
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:11:26 AM

I wouldn't follow iliani007's steps. You have to fully remove the drivers and I don't know how many times I have said it to people but removing the drivers only from the control panel is NOT enough .
Follow the steps which I have provided.

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:14:06 AM

1. Uninstall drivers via device manager.
2. Install driver sweeper, boot in safe mode, clean out drivers.

*2.5*It may be a good cautionary step to reseat the video card in another slot too after uninstalling drivers and cleaning them out or just reseat it into same slot if no other is available.

3.Reboot and install drivers(clean install is recommended, but not necessary) .
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:22:05 AM

pookie_21 said:
Twice now I have install a NEW PCI-E video. I have removed the old drivers first as you should. turned off computer, unplugged,unscrewed,replaced NEW card, boot in to windows, Install drivers from CD, reboot windows, windows loading screen pops up Blue line start to move across, then it stops ,nothing. Wait there is more. I reset it go into windows in safe mode works fine uninstall drivers, window auto detects video card nice it installs drivers reboots same thing. AM I MISSING SOMETHING ? i have this same problem with 2 total different machines. Same trouble I bet its me :(  plz help me. im in windows XP but the other was Win 7 both geforce nVidia

Hi now this one maybe silly but if the same card is giving you problems on different machines the card maybe broken. You would only notice after installing the driver when the card should start "working". Maybe inspect it for damaged contacts etc.

You could try a different approach, uninstal all display drivers, power off, remove old card, boot without any card installed - into normal windows, power off, then place new card, boot into windows normally, install driver for new card, reboot again.

It is generally best to download the latest driver from your manufacturer, but the driver on the cd-rom should work theoretically, make sure you get the xp driver though, and double check whether you need 32-bit or 64-bit software for your Windows.

m
l
August 17, 2012 9:23:16 AM

Ok guys Thank you for the response have tried all of that still same trouble :(  looking sad
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:24:30 AM

No two different video cards
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:28:52 AM

Please post your specs. What is the old GPU, what is the new one. Motherboard, power supply, CPU, RAM etc.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:33:09 AM

Intel Core i7 3930KBX80619I73930K
ASRock X79 Extreme4 Motherboard
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB Overclocked
G.SkillRipjaws Z F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling System
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
OCZ Technology ZX Series 1250W Power Supply
Samsung SE-506AB External Slim Blu Ray Writer Combo
AntecLanBoy Air Yellow
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:36:13 AM

this one the other not so ...up market
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:39:05 AM

Your specs seem fine. If you really installed everything correctly and you tried the same GPU on multiple systems it might be a bad GPU?

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:42:36 AM

is that rig of yours you posted running xp pookie o_O?
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:43:07 AM

second com is AMD 4000+ ABIT 939 4 gig ram. works fine with GT6600 Nvida and works fine with Asus EN210 but not with GTX550 Ti x16 yet i should.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:44:31 AM

Faulty GPU or something? I think you placed everything correctly and did everything like we all said about the drivers.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:44:36 AM

the first is running win7 home the second is running XP
same trouble on both
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:46:00 AM

So if I have this correct, you can boot into safe mode with the video cards just fine, right?

With a normal windows boot it starts doing the issue?
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:46:35 AM

both systems will boot up in SAFE
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:47:40 AM

how long are you waiting for the install process? oh no nevermind my mistake.

Could be faulty card as edogawa is saying.

Could it be memory related?

Not sure, could try taking out 2 of your memory sticks leaving in 2 x4gb.
m
l
August 17, 2012 9:47:58 AM

its only when i load the drivers it locks up on the reboot. even if i turn off and restart
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:48:46 AM

Okay, interesting. Could be a faulty card. I do have one other idea.

Go to safe mode, go to msconfig, enable diagnostic mode, and reboot. See if it will boot into windows normally now?
m
l
August 17, 2012 10:01:44 AM

sorry i cant seem to get msconfig to run
m
l
August 17, 2012 10:23:04 AM

Does that i7 3930k support your PCI express 3 graphics card?
Maybe worth a check.
:hello: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 10:34:03 AM

Well easiest way I can think of to rule out software conflicts, Or whatever "might" be interfering with the drivers if anything would be to create a new partition of about 40-50gb you don't need to nor want to activate your windows install (you do need the cd for this) on the new partition you don't want any antivirus/malware/firewall/etc just a bare install with only the drivers.

This should take at most 20-30 minutes and will be indicative of whether or not the card is faulty.
m
l
August 17, 2012 10:39:47 AM

ok edogawa... i ran msconfig in diag mode and im in to windows :)  but nothing loaded i take it as its very slow
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:18:59 PM

Alright well, it loaded into windows which is good, what do you mean it's very slow? Windows should only be loading basic drivers and services.

You can now try "normal startup" and then under the Startup tab and disable everything under it and try to boot under windows normally again.
m
l
August 18, 2012 1:15:13 AM

Looks like the i7 3770k may be the required processor for the first sys.
Ivy bridge is only set up for the PCI E3, not Sandy bridge.
Anyone aware of this point? not sure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 2:37:49 AM

Any PCI-e 3 card should be backwards compatible with PCI-e 2; not like he needs PCI-E 3 right now for this generation of cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 2:54:35 AM

Dazza its irrelevant, PCI-E is forwards and backwards compatible.
m
l
August 18, 2012 9:49:32 AM

Thats great to hear!
m
l
August 20, 2012 5:57:51 AM

Thanks guys, the first sys. is now up and running fine.
Cheers :bounce: 
m
l
!