Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My first rig: opinions?

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2012 3:46:07 AM

So build a machine that was half my components and halfish my dad's and I need some help selecting replacements for my personal gaming rig of powerpowerPOWER!!! :bounce: 
On a budget, o' course :p 
here are the current components that are available and when considering this I would like opinions on DX11 future building and if that is something I should factor or just stick to DX9/10. That also opens the possibility of crossfire versus selling the current and upgrading to a new single card.
What do you think would be the best setup for a $400 or less budget or do I have plenty capacity right here?
How strongly would new hard drives or ddr3 memory affect my current set up as far as steady fps?

CPU: FX 4100 black ed (current athlon 64 x2 6000+)
GPU: 5750 yeah i know I went just high enough to play the latest games without blowing a hole in my bank account.
motherboard: ??? (currently using K9A2 CF-F)
memory: ??? (currently ddr2 I think)

sata hdds?

I think the secondary goal is a build for a machine that is AA or supersampling capable but with 40 fps min

I'm not very comfortable with overclocking and It's not something I view as selfless which I obviously care a great deal about if I'm going to make a rig for spending lots of time alone...

Anyway. If anyone could help me out. I've got smilies waiting for you. :D  Thank you all.

More about : rig opinions

October 9, 2012 6:00:02 AM

well,ddr3 would certainly help.
Right now Intel has the handle on performance over AMD but they're more expensive.
For the CPU, A Phenom II BE is about the sweet spot. It unlocks to 6 cores and overclocks well. Handles such desired frame rates without a sweat.
GPU should be a 7750. Sweet little poor mans card. Gives you dx11 and all the bells and whistles for abit more.Also has no psu connectors. You can run it on a 380w psu no stress.
Motherboard, AM3+. A nice cheap one from Asus(for the BIOS updates)
SATA hdds, though if you have ide ones no need to change. Recycle .
October 9, 2012 6:23:00 AM

I think it's a pretty low end and crap rig. :p 

Save up for a better rig.
Related resources

Best solution

October 9, 2012 6:43:50 AM

If you are looking the AMD route I would have gone with:

A A10 5800K with HD 7850 hits around 65FPS in BF3 on ultra presets with AA and AF set at 1080P. While its not the best available option for discrete level graphics the Trinity has shown flexibility. Add Lucid chipsets one can switch between a discrete GPU and the IGPU depending on your needs, ie: rendering and content production the Trinities IGPU part is just insanely quick, while Gaming a discrete card is obviously faster. The other suggestion is using a HD 6670 in dual graphics mode, this is a Crossfire lite using the discrete 6670 and integrated HD 7660D to achieve a performance boost.

My other suggestion would be to wait for the FX 4350 part, and really push to get a more mainstream GPU, suggestions;

RADEON HD: 6850/6870/7770/7850 prices range from $130-200

Nvidia GTX: 560SE, 560ti, 660 prices range from $160-240

You should then very easily obtain the frames you are targetting.

As mentioned Intel has the better pure X86 performance but everything is moving away from X86 being the sole determinant, Direct Compute, OpenCL, the new Crytek and Frostbite engines will be more CPU/GPU paralellism, things are changing. Since you say you were on a budget I would have said go with a Trinity FM2 APU, its the most flexible setup under $500, with Steam Roller/Kaviri based APU's expected to operate of the same FM2 chipset and likely another 24% X86 gain and 55% iGPU gain.
October 9, 2012 7:44:11 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by MouseMonkey
Anonymous
October 9, 2012 8:04:18 AM

i am sorry to say but any of that stuff is not going to help. best bet is maybe re-using the case . . .and if the hard drives are sata that might also be something. but for getting 40+ frame rate is not likely with a $400 when needing a motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card and a power supply.
October 16, 2012 2:44:14 AM

Best answer selected by Nevadead.
October 16, 2012 2:48:06 AM

sarinaide said:
If you are looking the AMD route I would have gone with:
RADEON HD: 6850/6870/7770/7850 prices range from $130-200

Nvidia GTX: 560SE, 560ti, 660 prices range from $160-240

You should then very easily obtain the frames you are targetting.

So I'm hearing somewhat the same idea from everybody, but the price range is the most helpful along with the feedback.
Thanks everyone else for dropping by
Happy Gaming!
October 16, 2012 2:49:16 AM

allanitomwesh said:
well,ddr3 would certainly help.
Right now Intel has the handle on performance over AMD but they're more expensive.
For the CPU, A Phenom II BE is about the sweet spot. It unlocks to 6 cores and overclocks well. Handles such desired frame rates without a sweat.
GPU should be a 7750. Sweet little poor mans card. Gives you dx11 and all the bells and whistles for abit more.Also has no psu connectors. You can run it on a 380w psu no stress.
Motherboard, AM3+. A nice cheap one from Asus(for the BIOS updates)
SATA hdds, though if you have ide ones no need to change. Recycle .

really?
this is good feedback too!
!