Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Jagged image when playing games.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2012 9:01:31 AM

Hello, this is a biggy ive tried to search for an answer and tried everything HEEELLLPPPP!!!!!

most games i play suffer from a stutter in the image when i move the camera around in any direction, fast or slow. with skyrim doesnt matter what res i select or any setting it stutters it only goes away if i select windowed mode. fallout new vegas doesnt fix no matter what i do . i can only play alan wake on very low settings or else it stutters. is this a gpu issue? or the fact my ram wont run at 2400? i use a tv for my monitor is that a problem? im going out of my mind! why dont they work if battlefield 3 is supurb on ultra high settings! i ran fraps and my frame rate is 59-60 never drops below 59! ive tweeked everything in ccc ive overclocked in saphire trixx ive even underclocked because im going insane and maybe something crazy might work.... im at a loss.

i have windows 7
i5 3570k,
sapphire hd 7850 2gb oc
g.skill 8gb 2400 (only working at 2200 due to current mobo incompatibility)
asrock z77 extreme 4-m
thermal take 800w pwr sup.
sata 3 1tb seagate
Bravia kld-46Z5500
August 17, 2012 9:15:04 AM

I just reply to same problem on other threads (other had a hd6870)
Now I think is a processor problem
The second it may be motherboard drivers missing
THe third it may be a outdated AMD drivers
THe fourth there may be a BIG VIRUS
Or there may be a CPU bottleneck
And what resolution are you playing this games on your TV????
Score
August 17, 2012 9:21:19 AM

iliani007 said:
I just reply to same problem on other threads (other had a hd6870)
Now I think is a processor problem
The second it may be motherboard drivers missing
THe third it may be a outdated AMD drivers
THe fourth there may be a BIG VIRUS
Or there may be a CPU bottleneck
And what resolution are you playing this games on your TV????

It is definitely not a CPU bottleneck.

- Fastreaction
Score
Related resources
August 17, 2012 9:23:06 AM

Put down some settings?

- Fastreaction
Score
August 17, 2012 9:36:17 AM

xendazzle said:
is this a gpu issue? or the fact my ram wont run at 2400? i use a tv for my monitor is that a problem?

It's definitely not because your RAM is "only" running at 2200 MT/s. That's still way higher than you really need - there's practically no difference between running at 2400 vs. 1600 MT/s.
Since your graphics card is quite good I doubt that's the reason either.

The thread title refers to a jagged image, so I'm guessing part of the problem might be screen tearing. This is a normal consequence of the fact that your GPU and screen don't necessarily run at the same frequency. So if your GPU has computed half of the next frame when your screen grabs the data for its next frame, it'll get half of an old frame and half of a new one, with a visible tear where they meet (assuming there's been any changes at least, such as moving the camera around).
This can be corrected by using V-sync - it simply forces your GPU to slow down so the monitor and GPU stay in sync.
Score
August 17, 2012 9:37:21 AM

I thought about screen tearing too but doesn't that mostly happen when you get above 60 FPS all the time? The OP says that his FPS stays on about 60 and never drops below 59.

- Fastreaction
Score
August 17, 2012 9:45:13 AM

fastreaction said:
I thought about screen tearing too but doesn't that mostly happen when you get above 60 FPS all the time? The OP says that his FPS stays on about 60 and never drops below 59.

- Fastreaction

If the GPU renders at 59 FPS and the monitor refreshes at 60 Hz, you're going to get tearing if you don't enable Vsync.
Score
August 17, 2012 2:42:16 PM

thanks for the replys. im running at 1920x1080. I've lowered setting and turned on v-sync tho no change. I failed to mention it occasionally jumps above 60fps sometimes to 62 It's not a classic horisontal tearing effect but more like a rough stutter with a camera pan.

the fact skyrim works on ultra high settings in windowed mode with no tearing baffles me. why would windowed mode have such and impact and then makes no diffrence for new vegas. this is happening no matter what quality graphic i set low or ultra high. is there any way to adjust my frame rate with ccc? or is there an alternative to ccc?
Score
August 18, 2012 2:04:04 AM

does any body know what performance can i expect from my set up??
im really pissed off i researched what the recommended system settings were for these games and bought higher than that to future proof and it turns out i can even play old games. every game takes hours of set up just to get working. i feel like i could have finished these games on my ps3 (that was made in 2006) by now.
Score
August 18, 2012 4:34:08 AM

it seems to only happen to games than run through steam
Score
!