New PC build, needhelp

montamer

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I am planning to upgrade my old PC(almost 6year). Following is my current config:
CPU : Core2Duo 2.13GHz.
MB : Asrock Conroe 945G-DVI.
RAM : Transcend 2GB (1x2) DDR2.
GPU : PowerColor ATI Radeon 4850HD.
HDD : 1TB+160GB Seagate 3gb/s
PSU : Corsair VX-450W

After spending 1day surfing through internet. I have pretty much decided on the following config.
CPU : i7-3770k ivy bridge.
MB : Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM.
RAM : corsair vengeance DDR3 8GB 1866MHz/1600MHz (4x2).
HDD : 1TB 6gb/s - As I need this to take advantage of the SSD caching feature of the MB, am I correct???
- Interesting features that attracted me to this motherboard are the SSD caching(mSATA 32GB SSD onboard), Thunderbolt, USB bios restore. etc.....
And just to be future proof as I rarely upgrade. Been using my old PC for almost 6years :).
- I am planning to use my old GPU and PSU to save some cash for now. Will upgrade later if required.
Is it OK to use 450W PSU for i7-3770k and 4850HD??
- Need suggestion for a good cabinet.
- I am not planning to OC the CPU immediately, so do I still require a cooling solution?

suggestions are welcome :D.

montamer

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
@darren For now I want to use my old PSU if possible to save some bucks, as you know the P8Z77-V Pre is little expensive.
will definitely upgrade the PSU and GFX a little later :sol:

I need suggestion on a decent NVIDIA graphics card for learning CUDA programming.
I wont be playing graphics intense games on my PC. I am a casual gamer and already have a PS3 console.

in general it seems to be pretty good.
a few pointers though:
1) SSD caching is a nice addition to a drive, but not nearly as nice as running a real SSD. Be sure to break down the cost of that SSD as you can use ANY ssd (or portion of an SSD up to 60GB) for HDD caching. Your money would probably be better spent getting a simpler-but-still-awesome motherboard, and a seperate large SSD that is big enough for OS, programs, and commonly used documents. It is still nice to get a big HDD for backups and large files though, so I would not take it off the list.
Also, SSD caching works with any HDD, you do not need a specific HDD or feature of a HDD to get it to work as all of the heavy lifting is done by the motherboard chipset.

450W should be enough to get you going, but you will probably want to upgrade sooner rather than later, and definately by the time you upgrade the GPU

CUDA programming is (sadly) dead. Everything is moving to openCL, even nVidia is moving that direction, though the move was too late to really implement it this go around on architecture. CUDA is still useful if you are using or writing for old/current software, but all of the big names are transitioning over for their next updates.