Sign in with
Your question

Asus Power Supply Surge Detected

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2013 3:53:15 AM

Recently every time I played Crysis 3 I will encounter system shut down and reboot, and the message "power surge detected' pop out. This happens after switching from AMD FX8350+Asus Crosshair V Formular to Intel i7 3770k+Asus Sabertooth z77, other components are from my previous rig. My psu is Corsair HX850W, and I have used it for more than 1 year. I heard it maybe the psu issue, though it works totally fine on previous rig. I don't have another psu to test out, so I am not sure if this is the psu issue. The system is never been overclocked.

So whats your opinion? Any advice will be appreciated.

What I have done include: :sol: 
I also try to flash the bios to previous one, no help.
Try to clean the psu, there are not too mush dust there.
I try to disable the power suge detected in bios, but it is not working, still power surge detected.
I have monitor the voltage while playing other game like Far Cry 3, the results are in normal range ( +12v/12.096, +5V/5.000V, +3.3/3.328V)
Test prime95 stress test about 3 hours, nothing happens.
Test with Intel burn test, and system pass the test, the constant results show the cpu is stable

---
My pc spec are:
i7-3770k
Asus Sabertooth z77
Corsair Dominator GT 4GBx4
EVGA GTX 690
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (OS)
1 usb hub which has its own power supply
a c 128 ) Power supply
February 22, 2013 7:30:31 AM

I'm thinking the PSU but, does this happen near the start, mid way or randomly during the game? You might consider running a few stress tests, see where you get there
m
l
February 22, 2013 12:52:35 PM

It happens within 5 mins when start the game.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 ) Power supply
February 22, 2013 1:59:20 PM

I'll suggest running Intel Burn Test, aka IBT. Monitor your temps while it's running. I wouldn't think you would need to run it for more than ~15 minutes.
m
l
February 22, 2013 2:26:41 PM

what is burn test? :(  I am currently running prime95 stress test to monitor the voltage and temperature change, currently the voltage still in the normal range.
C12Friedman said:
I'll suggest running Intel Burn Test, aka IBT. Monitor your temps while it's running. I wouldn't think you would need to run it for more than ~15 minutes.

m
l
a c 128 ) Power supply
February 23, 2013 12:15:30 AM

Do you use the powered USB hub for gaming periferals at all. If so, you might try disconnecting it, see if your issues in Crysis happen without it. I'm kinda reaching here but I have had issues with powered USB hubs in the past.
m
l
February 23, 2013 1:51:15 AM

I think I have an answer, I just updated my pcie wireless adapter (Asus PCE-AC66), Asus just release new driver and new utility today, i just update the software, and now I just played 2 hours Crysis 3 multi-player without any problem. So i think the old driver may cause the problem that's why it only happens to crysis 3. I will keep testing it. If not, I will come back to the post.

Thank you for everyone who give me advises.
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:14:59 PM

It happens again, and this time happens to MMO, after 3 hours gaming ,the system now just shut down and reboot. And I notice the voltage for the GPU is only 985 mv, so i boot it up to 1100 mv, hopefully it will fix it this time.
m
l
March 12, 2013 8:20:36 AM

I think it is the PSU, I do not know if the 850W PSU is faulty or not, but I replaced it with a 1200w PSU, now the problem never happens, and I do not understand why my pc need more juice after upgrading a new motherboard and CPU, but a new psu does fix my problem.
m
l
!