Please help, CPU suddenly won't boot!

rambell

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Let me start with, I have a HP p6090d bought in 2009. Incl: Nvidia geforce gt120, Intel Quad 2 core processor Q8300.

First sign of problem: no input signal in monitor. Googled around and it seems common. Tried the usual power off, wait etc method and it works. Happens on and off recently. But had started happening after 2yrs warranty ended.

Next, the above method stopped working. What solved it was removing the graphics card and reseating it. Lasted a few days then no signal again. This time round, I removed the graphics card and cleaned the connector bit and that works.

Few days later, I spotted a 1 pixel pink line on the side of the monitor. Grows to a thick pink line once and then reverts to 1 pixel thin. Disappeared on its own after two days.

Fast forward to yesterday, I suddenly find my pc clock slower by about 40mins. It was connected to internet all the time and under settings, it's suppose to sync with the internet time. I had to manually sync it twice (first failed) to get it in sync. When shutting down later that night, the pc doesn't shut down but stays at the shutting down vista screen. The hdd activity light shows a slow flicker (indicating no activity?). I had to manually force a shut down by holding the power button. (This is not the first time, happens occasionally)

Today, I completely can't boot the pc. When I power it on, the fans spin, I hear one or two spins from the hdd and then nothing from the hdd. The hdd light on the front of the cpu case didn't even light up once. The heatsink fan however is crazy loud. Monitor shows no input.

What I already did to try to troubleshoot:
Remove graphics card, place it back again
Clean heatsink fan to the best I can since I can't remove it without reapplying thermal paste (which I don't have)
Reset cmos jumpers
Replaced cmos battery

I had contacted HP support but they didn't really help since it's out of warranty. The guy had me check stuff and he confirmed the monitor is working fine, the psu is alright and he told me to bring the whole cpu to service. It's crazy expensive for a mere diagnosis so if anyone here is able to help out, it will be great.

I am thinking it might be a spoiled graphics card? But will it prevent boot up, even no hdd sign of life? Is it the problem with the heatsink? Or is the motherboard completely fried?

Also, is it worth fixing or getting a new PC? Thanks.

Solution
if your mobo has onboard graphics, plug the monitor into it and check if you can boot. if you can, then your gpu is the problem.

if you can't then it's either the mobo or the HDD. remove the gpu, ram and HDD and power up your system. if you hear three beeps, then your mobo is reporting RAM error and is likely okay.

if it is okay then change sata ports and check again. if you can't boot, and hear a clicking sound from the HDD, then it is a bad HDD for sure

satyamdubey

Distinguished
if your mobo has onboard graphics, plug the monitor into it and check if you can boot. if you can, then your gpu is the problem.

if you can't then it's either the mobo or the HDD. remove the gpu, ram and HDD and power up your system. if you hear three beeps, then your mobo is reporting RAM error and is likely okay.

if it is okay then change sata ports and check again. if you can't boot, and hear a clicking sound from the HDD, then it is a bad HDD for sure

Solution

rambell

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I removed the two sticks of ram earlier but heard zero beeping sounds.

I will try removing the graphics card but the onboard dvi port is covered with a black plastic. Upon closer look earlier, there doesn't seem to be anything in that area on the motherboard. Well unless you count a square plastic piece. I did ask the HP tech if I can test out the integrated graphics but he simply said that they were disabled since my pc came with a graphics card.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
^ well that's the issue with all these manufacturers. chances are that it(onboard VGa) is disabled. I do not know how they may have disabled it (it could be that the vga was never installed). Anyways, your mobo should have reported ram error. The beep codes vary with the BIOS manufacturer but the mobo will always report ram not found or if the ram could not be refreshed.

then again chances are hp have not installed and on-board speaker.
can you look at your mobo and tell us the model and make? it would be written in bold somewhere probably between the cpu socket and ram/pcie slots.

rambell

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Wow...i took a close look but I can't find any that look like the model number. There's 2 barcode stickers thou: http://oi48.tinypic.com/34rgj5x.jpg

EDIT: I removed the graphics card and tried out the on board graphics (supposedly disabled). When I turn the pc on, there is no noise from the fans, just 2 short beeps and 1 long beeps. That means that hp has installed the on-board speaker then? I googled and the beep error means a video card problem. Likely cos they were disabled by hp. So what does this means? Is it the video card that is faulty? Or the motherboard?

EDIT 2: I turned the pc on again and this time round, no beep errors. Just the loud fan and nothing else. Similar to what I stated in the first post.