Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 670, Buy Now or Wait?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2012 12:08:12 PM

Hello,

I am planning on building a computer (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dG84) around December of this year since I will have enough money to build it then. However since Nvidia has come out with their GTX 660 Ti they are having a deal for 660 and above with free Borderlands 2. I am wondering if I should buy a GPU now to get free Borderlands 2 or wait because something better is going to come out before/near December.

From what I have seen it looks like new 670-690s come out around May, but if someone could tell me either, "You should wait for a better card by December" or "You should just buy it now because there isn't going to be a better Nvidia card by then" I would really appreciate it. :) 

Thanks in advance!

More about : gtx 670 buy wait

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2012 12:20:48 PM

Hi

IMO you should buy the best card you can reasonably afford when you build your PC unless you know for sure that a better card will be out very soon for the same price.

If you have the mind set that you should wait for the next best card then you'll always be waiting because AMD and nVidia release graphics cards so often.
August 17, 2012 12:23:05 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi

IMO you should buy the best card you can reasonably afford when you build your PC unless you know for sure that a better card will be out very soon for the same price.

If you have the mind set that you should wait for the next best card then you'll always be waiting because AMD and nVidia release graphics cards so often.

Good point, thanks. Never thoguth about it like that. I am probably just going to buy the GPU. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2012 12:23:36 PM

No problem, Enjoy your new computer :) 
m
l
August 17, 2012 12:27:44 PM

The 670 and 680 are already out (and have been out for a while). With the release of the 660ti this week I think we are at the end of the major 'gamer' product releases for the next year or two (though the quadro series is about to refresh, and there will be some lower end 600 series cards coming out 'soon' but those do not apply to you).

With the release this week of the 660ti there may be some more price drops with AMD, which may trigger a price drop for nVidia's cards as well, but I think we have seen most of the price dropping that we will see for the year already.

The one exception is in November: Black Friday and Cyber Monday should hold some really good deals this year because the market overall has been a bit slow, so a lot of parts makers and retailers should have some pretty good sales on low to mid-range parts, or to flush out inventory on last-gen parts which have been sitting around and wasting space.

Will it be enough of a sale to off-set a $60 game? That I am not so sure about, so you may want to go ahead and order the GPU with game, but for the rest of the parts I would save my pennies for November when the good deals hit.
m
l
August 27, 2012 12:14:28 AM

Best answer selected by Flizzelz.
m
l
!