Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU wattage help

Last response: in Components
Share
February 22, 2013 7:43:56 AM

I used a PSU Calculator from outervision and for my pc it shows recommended wattage as 497 w @90% load !
That looks suspiciously low for this-
FX 8350
{ i also used the overclocked estimate wattage at 4.6ghz@148w ( consumes so much power i dunno how its so low)
HD 7950
A custom WC loop
Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
1 hdd & 1 ssd
how is it only 497 w ?
so is a 650 w psu enough ?

More about : psu wattage

a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2013 8:03:00 AM

Yeah 550W would be fine for that.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2013 8:03:12 AM

compgenie said:
I used a PSU Calculator from outervision and for my pc it shows recommended wattage as 497 w @90% load !
That looks suspiciously low for this-
FX 8350
{ i also used the overclocked estimate wattage at 4.6ghz@148w ( consumes so much power i dunno how its so low)
HD 7950
A custom WC loop
Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
1 hdd & 1 ssd
how is it only 497 w ?
so is a 650 w psu enough ?


Low? It's pretty high. My gaming system with an i5-3570 and a GTX 670 only uses about 350 watt.

A 650 watt PSU would be okay, if you're getting a PSU that has a strong 12V rail and high effiency, even under hot temperatures. Though I would recommend a little higher wattage, because it's always best having some headroom, so you could install some more fans or overclock even higher.
Share
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 22, 2013 8:15:15 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
Low? It's pretty high. My gaming system with an i5-3570 and a GTX 670 only uses about 350 watt.

A 650 watt PSU would be okay, if you're getting a PSU that has a strong 12V rail and high effiency, even under hot temperatures. Though I would recommend a little higher wattage, because it's always best having some headroom, so you could install some more fans or overclock even higher.

Oh thanks. I said that cuz iv seen people with the same setup like yours or similar setups have psus like 750w. So it seemed low.
And btw is the Seasonic SS-850AT good? It's rather cheap here, but I can't find even 1 review for it. (before I had a deal - new ax1200 for $50 wow)
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2013 8:30:42 AM

compgenie said:
Oh thanks. I said that cuz iv seen people with the same setup like yours or similar setups have psus like 750w. So it seemed low.
And btw is the Seasonic SS-850AT good? It's rather cheap here, but I can't find even 1 review for it. (before I had a deal - new ax1200 for $50 wow)


People have such high wattage PSUs because it's actually one of the only things, that you can "future proof". They maybe wanted to go SLI or Crossfire, but realised it wasn't needed.

That PSU is really amazing. It has effiency above 85% which is very good, it also has components that can take temperatures up to 105 C, so it'll work under almost any condition. It's also modular. Though it might be a little overkill in my opinion.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2009/03/19/season... - I found a review of it, take a look.

IF you could provide me with a budget then I would be more than happy to try and help you out finding a fitting solution. :) 
m
0
l
February 22, 2013 8:48:38 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
People have such high wattage PSUs because it's actually one of the only things, that you can "future proof". They maybe wanted to go SLI or Crossfire, but realised it wasn't needed.

That PSU is really amazing. It has effiency above 85% which is very good, it also has components that can take temperatures up to 105 C, so it'll work under almost any condition. It's also modular. Though it might be a little overkill in my opinion.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2009/03/19/season... - I found a review of it, take a look.

IF you could provide me with a budget then I would be more than happy to try and help you out finding a fitting solution. :) 

So the m12d and at series are same?
It is overkill, but I'm getting it really cheap so why not get something better for the same price? Budget's round $130
m
0
l
February 23, 2013 8:00:01 AM

Best answer selected by compgenie.
m
0
l
!