Worried about PSU blow out

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi guys!

This morning I went to switch on my computer and nothing happened, that is to say not only did it not turn on but also I didn't notice any sparking or buzzing! just nothing.

After numerous attempts with still no reply I kinda assumed my psu had failed as there was no movement of the internal fan on it.

Just to make sure, i removed the cable from the back, plugged the cable into another wall socket and proceeded to reinsert the cable back into the computer.

This time, because the power was already on at the wall socket, I noticed a spark jump from the tip of the cable to the PSU socket! obviously, still not working but now I am worried sick I may have damaged other components on my PC

My question is, once the PSU had failed the first time, is it still capable of carrying a current to the rest of the machine and damaging it further or would the current have nowhere to go?

Really sorry if I am not making much sense, basically can a blown PSU still send the current to the rest of the pc and damage it further?

Thanks in advance.

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
What psu do you have? Most psu have a short circuit protection system in them. Every psu has a fuse, so a blown psu can't send the current to the pc. But it might take the pc with it if it blew

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

My PSU is an Artic 500w or maybe a 550w, not at home to check. I do hope it has some kind of protection built in, it was rather cheap... I know, lesson learnt :(

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

My PSU is an Artic 500w or maybe a 550w, not at home to check. I do hope it has some kind of protection built in, it was rather cheap... I know, lesson learnt :(

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Is this your psu? Does it have these features? I can't find a manufacturer site.. :pfff:
Someone on a website listed these
Features
* Support the latest Intel ATX 12V and AMD
* 20+4 pin
* 6 pin power adapter for PCI express
* Support NVidia SLI Technology
* 8 (4+4) pin supports two sockes server
* Super Quiet Technology: Smart fan control function
* Over-Voltage Protection (OVP)
* Over-Power Protection (OPP)
* Short-Circuit Protection (SCP)
* 100% Hi-pot, chroma and burn in function
Connectors:
Universal 24pin Main ATX power
4 pin 12v power connector x1
4 pin (for HDD, CD-ROM) x3
Floppy Connector (4 pin) x2
Serial ATA power connector x2
4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-Express adaptor x1
4 pin Molex to 8 (4+4) pin +12v Power adaptor
Velcro Cable Tie x2

See if you can go to a local store or a friend and use a PSU to see if your pc is fine. :bounce:
:pt1cable: Then get a new psu. Give me a budget ill help you get a quality one and what are your pc specs?

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
"I noticed a spark jump from the tip of the cable to the PSU socket"

I am assuming that you mean the wall socket not the PSU socket? I don't know about whether your PSU is dead or not but it sounds like you simply got a little bit of static electricity built up before you plugged your PSU into the hot wall socket. Not too much to worry about there, PSUs are built to handle fluctuations like that.

To know if your PSU was dead before that you will have to do some tests. Antec is a pretty reputable brand so I wouldn't worry about the PSU frying your PC but I would try and get a working PSU and plug that into your system. Otherwise you can do the paper clip trick on your PSU and just try and get it to turn on when its not plugged into any part of your computer if you are worried. If it turns on its a pretty easy check (if you have a multimeter) to see if it is producing the correct voltages on its rails.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
** Sorry I read that brand wrong. I don't know about the Artic brand. The paper clip trick would still work, I would recommend trying that.

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

He means you need to jump the psu (tricking it into thinking your power button has been pressed.

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks guys, I have rung the retailer and they have told me to bring it into the shop tomorrow and they will test the psu for me. They said they will replace it for me if there is a problem so I asked of I could upgrade it for a decent one instead and make up the difference. Not gonna skimp on the psu ever again! My budget will be around £50 hope this gets me a good one.

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Yea lesson learned ;). Hope your pc is fine! Next time always get something like a Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, Antec,Silverstone or XFX. All the companies are excellent.
You forgot to mention your cpu and gpu and components.. Only then can I suggest a good psu!

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Oh yes, sorry I forgot!

I have an i5 2500 CPU (not K) and my GPU is a radeon HD 6670 though I intend to upgrade to possibly a 660 ti depends if there's any damage to pc first as the money I am saving up for a gpu may end up being spent replacing fried components! I do hope not... :(

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Hope it doesn't! But if you do wanna buy a new gpu then I would not recommend the 660ti... With the new amd 13.2 beta drivers have bumped up fps by almost 25 %! Better get a HD 7950 that thing is just BEAST. Overclocked, it can beat a GTX 670 also!

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Haha PSU problem or not i wouldn't put a HD7770 on it let alone a HD7950. That thing needs to go man.. That PSU is a generic brand (STAY AWAY) bad experience with generics

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Update...

Well I just tried the paperclip trick and the psu came back to life. So then I reconnected it to the PC and still nothing!

So its good news that the psu is working but i am at a loss now as to what the problem could be?

I only bought the motherboard/cpu combo 2 weeks ago!

I really hope they are not damaged, I don't have the funds to replace them, I saved hard for a long time for them.

Is there anything I can do to check?

Physically, the mobo looks fine, I can't see any blown parts etc...

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

OP's getting a new one

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

What about the retailer ? What did he say ? The paperclip trick would work but don't even touch the psu now ...could do more damage.
Was there no hdd led blinking or any POST beep ?

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

I'll be ringing up the retailer this morning letting him know I'm coming through after work. I'll take the tower case with the motherboard/cpu inside and have them check that. Who knows, maybe the on/off button on the tower is broken? I only bought them two weeks ago so i am hoping the retailer is gonna be reasonable with me. Should I take the psu also? Could it still be faulty even though the paperclip trick brings it to life? Wish me luck guys...

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Yes of course you have to take your psu. And ask them to pay the money back and get a good psu, I could suggest one if you like and give me a budget..
And wish you luck!

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Will £50 be enough?

Also the retailer is ccl computers, it would be ideal if you could find one on their website so I can collect it whilst I'm there?

Thank you.

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Yes it should be, but are you getting that new gpu? I would need to find a fitting psu. What about overclocks?

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Yes I will at some point in the near future be upgrading my GPU. Will I be overclocking? probably not, although you never really know so I suppose we can assume that I will be!

One last thing, would it be best to not mention that I tried the paperclip trick on the PSU, I may have invalidated my warranty?

Thanks again

SmorlFox

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Yes I will at some point in the near future be upgrading my GPU. Will I be overclocking? probably not, although you never really know so I suppose we can assume that I will be!

One last thing, would it be best to not mention that I tried the paperclip trick on the PSU, I may have invalidated my warranty?

Thanks again