First PC Build

Hey, this is my first gaming rig. I'm wondering if everything I've got put together is all good. Anything I should add or take away?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Blue WD7500AZEX 750GB 7200 RPM
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB
GPU: DIAMOND 7970PE53G Radeon HD 7970
GPU: Sapphire 11199-00-20G Radeon HD 7870
Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
5 answers Last reply
More about first build
  1. Apart from needing CPU cooler, for overclocking, and an optical drive, the rest is OK, but WHAT is with the two DIFFERENT graphics cards. Is that an either/or, because they won't work TOGETHER, in crossfire!!
  2. malbluff said:
    Apart from needing CPU cooler, for overclocking, and an optical drive, the rest is OK, but WHAT is with the two DIFFERENT graphics cards. Is that an either/or, because they won't work TOGETHER, in crossfire!!

Yea I'm not very familiar with crossfire so I wasn't really sure what would work together.
  3. AnonymousBanana said:
    Yea I'm not very familiar with crossfire so I wasn't really sure what would work together.

You need two of the same card for crossfire.

Generally your best off starting with just a powerful single card set up. A single 7970 would be fine.
  4. Get rid of the 7870, which wouldn't be compatible :), and get a decent CPU cooler to get a nice overclock going. That Ram is compatible with a NH-D14, so with the money you save from getting rid of that useless 7870 in your build (Its a good card, but it won't do anything LOL), you can get both that Cooler and the best HD 7970.

I recommend this one :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102982
  5. It's Maximus V, the motherboard, but whilst they look good, they don't really gain you anything, over an ordinary Z77 mobo, like Asus' P8Z77-V Pro, or the cheaper ASRock Z77 Extreme4, unless you are a PC "enthusiast", as much as gamer. The Maximus Extreme's come into their own, if you want to have proper water cooling, and stuff like high speed RAM.
    You will need to add a CPU cooler, something like CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo, is good value, plus something like LG, or Lite-On optical drive, plus, of course, a decent case. A Corsair Carbide 500R is a very good case, but there are many others. It's as much a question of what YOU like the look of. Pick a couple of decent mid tower ATX cases, and we can advise which is best.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product