I read something interesting and wondering if you guys could explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

4g63mr

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I was looking into buying a new GPU, my trusty 5880 (its on its last leg, I have re lubbed my fan many times, now after the years its grinding away) is about to die on me.

I started to look into the new 600 series cards (namely the 670 It seems to score well here http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html) To me I see it high on the charts so that has to be its a great card (number wise atleast).. However then I read something in a review that made me wonder if this guy knew what he was talking about and was I just being tempted buy the high benchmark scores.

Anyways This is the comment I read *let me preface by saying I norm take most reviews of perscore or terrible score as a grain of salt*. Just when I read this one, it seemed logical, to me atleast.

" Review of the EVGA superclocked 670 card.

Pros: Graphics are better than my EVGA 7800 GS CO AGP card, but at

Cons: STILL only 256 bit! Seems as though you need to spend 600 to 1000 dollars to get anything better than 256 bit and a backplate in the 6XX series. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Bandwidth means everything. My 570 with 320-bit memory blows this card away, despite the impressive speed numbers they report. Speed numbers are deceiving, since speed doesn't equal richness of video image. 256-bit cards yield images that are much more mechanical, much more artificial-looking. The 320-bit GTX 570, in contrast produces a much more lifelike and appealing image. AND, worst of all, the 670 is STILL a "KR" version, one of their WORST warranties.

Other Thoughts: Ridiculous waste of money. Get an EVGA 012-P3-1571-AR, beautiful graphics, plays EVERY game effortlessly, stays cool, and it's an "AR", their BEST warranty. Save some bucks, and get the 570 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 instead.
Keep your 967mhz, and give me some MAJOR BANDWIDTH FOR LESS THAN $300! With EVGA, you might as well ask for the moon!"

Can anyone explain this to me, if this is a true statement or not. I will admit I am attracted to the 670 just because it rates high on the benchmarks. I will also admit that I have been and im still happy w/ my 5880. It seems to play all my games w/out any problems at all, most of the time on high settings (not maxed out ultra settings, but I am okay w/ that).

I bought the ole 5880 the first month of its release and cost a ton at the time but has last me a long time now and I feel it was money well spent.
So my next card I want to last several years also and keep up w/ demands in games now and near future.

Well anyways thanks in advance guys.

Solution
Hi

Memory bandwidth or the bit rate do have an effect on the overall performance of a card but so do MANY other factors, for example:

Core clock rate
Memory Clock rate
Memory Size (in certain situations)
Memory Type
Shaders (architecture, speed and quantity)
ROPs
And many others, so even if a GTX570 has a larger bit rate doesn't mean its a faster card or produces a better image, that statement is just ridiculous.

Go by benchmarks and comparison's as you cannot compare the performance of graphics cards on architecture alone.
Hi

Memory bandwidth or the bit rate do have an effect on the overall performance of a card but so do MANY other factors, for example:

Core clock rate
Memory Clock rate
Memory Size (in certain situations)
Memory Type
Shaders (architecture, speed and quantity)
ROPs
And many others, so even if a GTX570 has a larger bit rate doesn't mean its a faster card or produces a better image, that statement is just ridiculous.

Go by benchmarks and comparison's as you cannot compare the performance of graphics cards on architecture alone.

Solution

4g63mr

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Okay so that is what I thought. When I read that it felt logical but I couldn't wrap my mind around how a card w/ benchmark under the being reviewed could be better at doing what they are designed todo (produce graphics).
Thanks for the answer my friend, makes more sense when I look at it as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS