Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Pentium 4 HT upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2013 11:39:53 AM

Hey guys! I just got a pc for free the other day and its a pentium 4 ht with 512 mb of ddr2 ram. I am going to get 4 gb of ram when i actually receive the computer and i am also going to purchase a geforce 210 1gb ddr3 64-bit video card. The computer is a hp dc7600 small form btw. My question is will i be able to possibly upgrade the pentium 4 ht even though the socket might be outdated? I dont know the model the motherboard is because i dont have it right now, but if anyone knows anything it would help a lot. Thanks much!

Stmaki16

More about : pentium upgrade

February 22, 2013 11:53:24 AM

The best way to upgrade that machine (I have one) is: 4 gb of ram, 7XXX agp with nvidia gpu or (ati 3850 but you have to buy a new psu) and windows 8.
February 22, 2013 11:53:30 AM

Pentium 4 HT is on 775 socket.
There's only two possible upgrades left for you: Core2Duo and Core2Quad processors.
Core2Quad will be the rooftop of 775 socket, you won't be able to go farther than that without changing socket (and thus motherboard).

Also, 32 Bit Windows XP supports only up to 3.3GB of memory, there's no point to put 4GB in your motherboard if you're using that.
32 Bit Windows 7 (Professional), on the other hand, supports 4GB of memory. So you'd better get Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit, if you want to utilize all 4GB entirely.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 11:53:48 AM

Its an old buisness class form factor. You can upgrade the processor to a core 2 duo, if you can find one on ebay/ amazon. You can also still find DDR2 2gb sticks @ 800 which will give you a workable amount of memory. You will have to get a low profile GPU card, which will have to live with the PCIe 1.0 buss- so that will be a choke point.

Depending on what card you buy, you may need to upgrade the power supply as well. And get a new Hard drive @7200. Most business modles come with 5600.

You should be able to get medium level gameplay out of it. Free is free, no complaints.

Win XP 64 bit recognizes above 4 GB. So does 7HP 64 bit.
February 22, 2013 11:56:01 AM

master_chen said:
Pentium 4 HT is on 775 socket.
There's only two possible upgrades left for you: Core2Duo and Core2Quad processors.
Core2Quad will be the rooftop of 775 socket, you won't be able to go farther than that without changing socket (and thus motherboard).

Also, 32 Bit Windows XP supports only up to 3.3GB of memory, there's no point to put 4GB in your motherboard if you're using that.
32 Bit Windows 7 (Professional), on the other hand, supports 4GB of memory. So you'd better get Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit, if you want to utilize all 4GB entirely.

Thanks much, and it will have a 63-bit operating system so it should read all 4gb's.
February 22, 2013 11:58:08 AM

groundrat said:
Its an old buisness class form factor. You can upgrade the processor to a core 2 duo or quad, if you can find one on ebay/ amazon. You can also still find DDR2 2gb sticks @ 800 which will give you a workable amount of memory. You will have to get a low profile GPU card, which will have to live with the PCIe 1.0 buss- so that will be a choke point.

Depending on what card you buy, you may need to upgrade the power supply as well. And get a new Hard drive @7200. Most business modles come with 5600.

You should be able to get medium level gameplay out of it. Free is free, no complaints.

Thanks again. here is the graphics card that i selected though.. its a 2.o but people said they have put this into their dc7600 small from and it worked fine even though the psu isnt terribly strong. what are your thought on this?
February 22, 2013 11:58:41 AM

groundrat said:
Its an old buisness class form factor. You can upgrade the processor to a core 2 duo or quad, if you can find one on ebay/ amazon. You can also still find DDR2 2gb sticks @ 800 which will give you a workable amount of memory. You will have to get a low profile GPU card, which will have to live with the PCIe 1.0 buss- so that will be a choke point.

geforce 210 1gb 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 22, 2013 12:25:19 PM

stmaki16 said:
I'll be using a 64 Bit OS so it should read all 4GB.

That's good to know.
Also: Windows XP 64 Bit = Bad. Better not, if you think about getting that one. If you want 64 Bit, use only Windows 7 or 8 (Better 7).

About that video card: it's waaay too old, man. If you're going to use 64 Bit OS, get something better, really.
Just tell me how much you are willing to spend on a good GPU and your PSU's Wattage. I'll pick something fresher, affordable and appropriate enough for you.
a c 93 à CPUs
February 22, 2013 12:33:40 PM

By the time he gets all his bits, a new AMD APU is sounding tempting.
February 22, 2013 12:40:06 PM

Hey Stig, how's your gears topping? %)

Anyway: he got that PC for free and he can upgrade that to pretty decent Core2Quad.
I just can't see why he should go onto APU/anything else while he still has pretty much room for upgrading.
I understand that APU would be a better thing, but you'll have to pay for it from scratch. For this you don't - you just upgrade little by little.
Thus APU isn't really necessary at this particular case.
When (and only THEN) he gets Core2Quad, THEN we can talk about him getting onto APU or something better.
But for now it is absolutely fine, since he still has room for further upgrades.
You should really suggest/recommend APU or other things only in the case when a person has no more room for further upgrading. He still has that room. Lots of room.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 12:47:01 PM

Oh yes the richland cpu's are just around the corner. Hey OP, It would be stupid to waste ANY money on a computer that old. Your best bet is to salvage components like the hard disk drive and the DVD ROM and invest in a better system all together. It will cost EXACTLY the same if not less to get a Celeron G540-550 for the price you'll be getting the DDR2 ram. Investing in a computer that old is stupidity if you ask me. The new celerons integrated graphics can take on that old Geforce 210
February 22, 2013 12:49:49 PM

haider95 said:
The new Celeron's integrated graphics can take on that old Geforce 210.

>Intel.
>Worthwhile integrated graphics.

Pick one.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 12:49:50 PM

master_chen said:
Hey Stig, how's your gears topping? %)

Anyway: he got that PC for free and he can upgrade that to pretty decent Core2Quad.
I just can't see why he should go onto APU/anything else while he still has pretty much room for upgrading.
I understand that APU would be a better thing, but you'll have to play for it from scratch. For this you don't - you just upgrade little by little.
Thus APU isn't really necessary at this particular case.
When (and only THEN) he gets Core2Quad, THEN we can talk about him getting onto APU or something better.
But for now it is absolutely fine, since he still has room for further upgrades.
You should really suggest/recommend APU or other things only in the case when a person has no more room for further upgrading. He still has that room. Lots of room.

Dude any idea how much the Core 2 Quad is gonna cost him? SFF's are usually branded like DELL or HP giving little or no room for future upgrades specially considering that it comes with 512MB of ram and it being a sff? Hell even my old DX 2300 won't take a quad processor and its a microtower
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 12:53:55 PM

master_chen said:
>Intel.
>Worthwhile integrated graphics.

Pick one.

I pick both, the IGP's intel has been making lately are somewhat good. The HD4000 is a bit better than the HD5450 which from my experience is a LOT better than the Geforce 210
February 22, 2013 12:55:11 PM

haider95 said:
Dude any idea how much the Core2Quad is gonna cost him?

Yes, I do.

haider95 said:
I pick both.

Congratulations, you just /0. APU smiles at you.
February 22, 2013 1:19:04 PM

I wanna say thanks to all you guys because you all helped very much.. i know that the gpu is a low profile card but im only 16 and i like this kind of stuff a lot and im willing to spend some money to learn more and do stuff that i enjoy. This free pc will be kind of like a expierement for now so i can learn much more and fyi i did find a used core2quad for 88 bucks used ;)  For now i just use a decent laptop btw
February 22, 2013 1:33:23 PM

Which model of Core2Quad is that? You should only get something like Q6600 or higher.

P.S. Read PM.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 5:35:41 PM

just because its a 775 socket doesn't mean he can drop in a core 2 anything. maybe i missed it, but he hasnt posted the motherboard make or model yet, has he?
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 5:43:23 PM

Quote:
More caps and whining, kid. Come on, more caps and whining. You're good at it.

YOU'RE MAKING HIM WASTE HIS MONEY! OP DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT PC HE'S GETTING. HELL IT MIGHT EVEN BE A DDR SYSTEM
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 5:43:56 PM

daswilhelm said:
just because its a 775 socket doesn't mean he can drop in a core 2 anything. maybe i missed it, but he hasnt posted the motherboard make or model yet, has he?

+1
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 7:03:57 PM

i've never seen such terrible advice on toms.... dont spend any money on that system, save your pennies, and buy new.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 8:20:46 PM

ive read it all, people recommending c2quads and ram upgrades without knowing what board he has.... utterly retarded? please, grow up.
a c 141 à CPUs
February 22, 2013 10:36:46 PM

I agree with Das I see no point in spending money on such an old computer. By the time you spend money on a Core 2 Quad, video card and new RAM you can get a new computer. Of all the major computer parts you are replacing everything but the motherboard. At that point you might as well just do a cheap new build with a modern processor, modern DDR3 RAM and modern, better video card.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 10:49:59 PM

Quote:
You're a couple of years older than me (if that's your real age), but you act like absolutely retarded nooby kid right now. If you'd really read what I've said, you wouldn't be making such comments as you make right now, at all. But you keep on barfing out your "advice" and "recommending" nonsense. You are truly a retarded kid, not by age, but by the mind condition.
It is you who should grow up here, really.

showing your immaturity, again, grow up.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 5:40:26 AM

keep spewing incorrect information and insults. some people are here to help.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 5:49:46 AM

i've given correct advice. you seem to think a c2q will work with any 775 chipset. go do some research before giving advice.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 6:08:50 AM

"You should only get something like Q6600 or higher"

you said that. not me. and yes, that is whats called "advice".

keep up the name calling, its really showing your immaturity.
February 23, 2013 6:19:05 AM

I knew you're going to dwell on that particular phrase. What a dumb person you are, oh wow.

It was not an advice in any way, it was just a comment about what's actual and what not.
For example:
- "Hey Tommy, I see Bell Peppers of three different colors here. Red, Yellow, Green. Which one of them has more vitamines?"
- "You should really consider getting only Reds if you want maximum vitamins out of it, because they are the most ripe, and the higher the ripe rate of Bell pepper's, the more vitamins it has. Yellows are mid-ripe and thus has medium amount of vitamins, Greens are almost unripe, so they have least vitamins out of all others. There are also Orange Bell Peppers, which is something like a medium state between Yellow and Reds, and Purple Bell Peppers, which are actually a different kind of Peppers."

This is NOT an advice/recommendation in any way, this is just simply a commentary and exposition on things.
An advice or recommendation would be if I'd said something like "Hey, get those Red Bell Peppers! And get only them, they are the best!"

I truly pity you, because even little kindergarten-level kids get something simple as that, but you don't. Which means that your IQ level and comprehension skills are below normal.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 3:48:01 PM

keep trolling.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 3:48:03 PM

master_chen said:
I knew you're going to dwell on that particular phrase. What a dumb person you are, oh wow.

It was not an advice in any way, it was just a comment about what's actual and what not.
For example:
- "Hey Tommy, I see Bell Peppers of three different colors here. Red, Yellow, Green. Which one of them has more vitamines?"
- "You should really consider getting only Reds if you want maximum vitamins out of it, because they are the most ripe, and the higher the ripe rate of Bell pepper's, the more vitamins it has. Yellows are mid-ripe and thus has medium amount of vitamins, Greens are almost unripe, so they have least vitamins out of all others. There are also Orange Bell Peppers, which is something like a medium state between Yellow and Reds, and Purple Bell Peppers, which are actually a different kind of Peppers."

This is NOT an advice/recommendation in any way, this is just simply a commentary and exposition on things.
An advice or recommendation would be if I'd said something like "Hey, get those Red Bell Peppers! And get only them, they are the best!"

I truly pity you, because even little kindergarten-level kids get something simple as that, but you don't. Which means that your IQ level and comprehension skills are below normal.

You're stupid. You should have just asked OP to confirm his model of motherboard first. There is no way a C2Q is gonna work in any 775 socket. I own a 775 socket myself! it won't even let me upgrade it to a E5400 let alone a core 2 quad AND its a branded HP motherboard as well. HP doesn't want people to upgrade their computers, they want them to buy new ones every year that's why there hardly any options to upgrade em. Get that in your thick skull before you give out advice like " Only get Q6600 or higher " Pfft
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 3:49:42 PM

haider95 said:
You're stupid. You should have just asked OP to confirm his model of motherboard first. There is no way a C2Q is gonna work in any 775 socket. I own a 775 socket myself! it won't even let me upgrade it to a E5400 let alone a core 2 quad AND its a branded HP motherboard as well. HP doesn't want people to upgrade their computers, they want them to buy new ones every year that's why there hardly any options to upgrade em. Get that in your thick skull before you give out advice like " Only get Q6600 or higher " Pfft

he's just a worthless troll...
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 5:09:59 PM

I go away for a day and the thread gets nasty.
In his original post he said, “The computer is a hp dc7600 small form btw.”
Doing a simple google search for that model computer gets you this:
381028-001 Motherboard (system board) - Features the 945G Express chipset with Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and high-definition audio with Realtek 2-channel ALC260 codec

And that in turn leads you to this page:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27720/Intel-82945G-Memory...
and this data sheet:
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/307502.pdf

Viola! Everything you need to know about his motherboard and the compatibilities thereof. Took me .30 seconds.

Everything I told him came from those documents. Will it support Core 2 Duo? You bethca.

This board has a whole lot of really judgmental people who think their opinion is gospel. Get over yourselves. Answer the kid’s questions to the best of your ability and if you don’t for sure, let someone else help him. Calling people names just shows a lack of maturity.

EDIT:BTW, If you didn't call people names, I am not talking about you.
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2013 6:13:39 PM

yes the 945g chipset will take up to a core 2duo, with a max bus of 1066mhz. but that doesnt necessarily mean the bios will support it, so he would have to make sure there is a bios update available.
June 2, 2013 6:24:27 PM

Hi guys! This is an older post but i dont have this old pt4 anymore... Check out below

-Scott
!