Sign in with
Your question

New Motherboard/CPU/RAM - will not power up

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2012 2:11:19 PM

Hi guys,

Today I bought a new Asus P8Z77-V-LX with an Intel 3570 CPU and Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600.

I was connecting this to my existing Toughpower QFan 650W PSU, a few Sata HDD's, and HD5770 graphics card. So I put the new components in, obviously removed the old board, CPU, and RAM and...nothing. I connected everything in the right places, went over the manual a number of times yet when I press the power button, literally nothing happens. No fans, no lights, nothing. The only thing that does happen is that the LED power indicator on the motherboard lights up when I plus the power cord into the PSU.

I hence had to remove the new stuff and reinserted the old board/CPU/RAM and everything works properly again.

Any idea as to the problem? This is the first time I'd done this and it's not going well...
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 188 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 3:09:25 PM

check that the case header pins are the same for both mb. if you uses the case header adaptor that in the box make sure the power on wires are on the right pin. if there not nothing will happen. also check that the board not tuching the mb tray or the i/o shield and shorting out. a lot people miss putting the 4/8 pin axt power in. also check that you uses the right cable and not the pci video power cable (6 by 2) pin cable. also check that if your using a video card all the cables are connected.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 3:14:53 PM

I would check to make sure there are not extra pins in the case under where you put your motherboard as those could be shorting it out causing it not to post.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 188 à CPUs
October 9, 2012 3:59:01 PM

hopfully he used the brass standoffs and did not screw the mb to the back of the case.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 4:06:22 PM

Yeah my fear is that they may have an extra 1 or 2 under it that are shorting out the mobo.
m
l
October 9, 2012 11:47:09 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. All of the cables are definitely connected, I made sure that the two connectors to the MB were done correctly so that wasn't the problem, and I made sure the power button connector etc were all in the right place.

I did also make sure that it was screwed into all of the brass connector thingies although I initially only screwed in four of the six screws. Would that matter?

On a sidenote I then removed the boards from the case leaving only the CPU and RAM attached - still nothing happens.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 11:58:53 PM

try it without the mobo in the case. Instead of attaching the case button connections to the mobo, use a paperclip or screwdriver to bridge the two pins for power momentarily. If it works, you had some metal to metal contact on the board and case. Also, try it without USB headers plugged in if you had them connected.
m
l
October 10, 2012 12:30:27 AM

Yeah I did try it outside of the case - I should have been more clear with my previous post. I took the motherboard out of the case and also removed the graphics card and most cables (aside from power related ones obviously), leaving only the CPU and RAM attached - still nothing. Haven't tried paperclips though.
m
l
!