My Computer Build

G

I am in the process of building a new desktop as my current one is far too old. I am however having some difficulty in choosing some of my components.

My current choices are as follows:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410

Motherboard: ASUS P8z77-V Pro or ASUS P8z77-V LX << [Please Help Me Choose Here!]

Power Supply: Corsair GS 700W

Processor Intel i5 2500k or Intel i5 3570k << [Dont know which I will need]

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB Blue

Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce 560Ti 1GB

SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB

HDD: Some form of 1 TB << Recommendations?

So, Yeh, help with components would be much appreciated.

Also, am I missing anything? Will I need a CPU Cooler?

Many thanks. :)

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
i would go for the intel i5 2500k, everything else is fine. i would choose the 1tb wd green cavier 64mb cache and you will get a cpu fan with your intel i5 2500k, if u plan on overclocking id suggest getting an aftermarket one as it will keep your cpiu cooler than the stock intel 1

G

Okay, Thankyou!

What about my Motherboard? Is there any need for me to get the ASUS P8z77-V Pro over the ASUS P8z77-V LX?

super_teabag

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
What about my Motherboard? Is there any need for me to get the ASUS P8z77-V Pro over the ASUS P8z77-V LX?

I don't see any reason to get the Asus P8z77-V pro. Over the one you picked out first because (from my quick glance) the pro added features like built in Wi-fi, PCI 3.0 for two slots in 8x mode, fan expert, higher O/C ram, and BIOS flashback. All of these features are useful, but for your current graphics card configuration and two HDDs. You should be fine without the pro; save yourself the cash. I may not even go for the ASUS motherboards maybe go ASROCK instead? ASRock Z77 Extreme4 same price point, wayyyy more features that the LX and highly rated on newegg.

G

The only reason I have chosen the ASUS Motherboard is down to my previous desktops having ASUS motherboards. But, I shall look into the ASRock ones.

Thanks for your help anyways :)

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Unless you are going to buy two new graphics cards and run them in SLi or Crossfire, of those two I would go with the P8z77-V LX, but like teabag said above, you may want to consider the ASRock Extreme4.

If you want to overclock higher, go with the i5-2500k. If you want better performance out of the box using lower power and still able to overclock a decent amount, go with the i5-3570k. If you dont plan on overclocking, take a look at the i5-3550. As said above. If you are going to overclock, definitely get an aftermarket cooler...the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo is a solid choice for one.

As for 1 TB hard drives, I really like the stability of the WD Caviar Black series, but they are more expensive. I am also a big fan of the Samsung Spinpoint F3. Fast and reliable.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
I would avoid the ASrock extreme 4 it's had VRM issues.

I would take the 3570k theres no reason to get the older 2500k. Why buy the old model the new one may not overclock as far but makes up for it in being stronger clock for clock.

Try to get a better GPU like a 660ti even if it means losing or cutting back on the SSD (a decent OCZ SSD can be had for cheapish). Your GPU is going to determine how high you crank settings

600 or 650W PSU would be more than you need and save some cash

G

Hey, Okay. Thanks for advice.

I've never had any problems with my ASUS boards. So, Im most definitely going for one. Regardless of having a browse of the ASRock z77 Extreme 4.

As for the GPU, I chose 560Ti due to costs as I still want a SSD, but I shall look into the OCZ SSD's :)

And, the PSU, that's another thing I was wanting to know, so, thanks once again, great help :)

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, take a look at the OCZ Agility 4, the Crucial m4, or the Kingston HyperX 3K. They are all good SSDs and the prices have really been coming down lately.

For sure if you can scrounge up the money for it, get a 660Ti...its well worth the extra money.