Sign in with
Your question

Multi-display gaming & photo/video editing rig for ~3000€

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2012 2:51:02 PM

As the title says, I'm looking to build a new rig from scratch (only taking some HDD's from old build), budget being max ~3000€.
The budget includes the rig itself and three (3) monitors.

I already have a quite solid idea in my head of a possible build (adding a list below), so I'm mainly here to triple-check that all the pieces are compatible with each other and that there's not any other types of conflicts. Naturally open for comments and suggestions.

Here we go:

Approximate Purchase Date: December 2012

Budget Range: MAX 3000€, has to include everything

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surround gaming, picture & video editing, watching HD movies, listening music etc

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, three (3) total

Do you need to buy OS: No, going to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe later, keeping the option open to later boost performance by adding a second identical graphics card in SLI mode

Your Monitor Resolution: 5760x1080 is what I'm going for with three (3) 1920x1080 monitors

Here's the build I've been planning so far:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X 942 ATX-case
PSU: Corsair AX850W
MOBO: Asus P9X79 Deluxe Intel X79 LGA2011
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz LGA2011
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
GPU: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 4096 MB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB Kit 1600MHz (4x4GB)
System Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB 2.5" SSD SATA III
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST Blu-ray read/write
Monitors: 3x Asus 24" VE247H Full HD LED

Total: ~2900€

So, how does it look?

Any input would be much appriciated, thanks!
October 9, 2012 3:34:02 PM

Everything looks swell.
Though for a 3-monitor setup, I believe Eyefinity is the best.
October 10, 2012 8:22:04 AM

excella1221 said:
Everything looks swell.
Though for a 3-monitor setup, I believe Eyefinity is the best.

Cheers for the reply.

I'm aware that ATI cards with the Eyefinity system are still "ahead" when comparing to Nvidias Surround system, but I'm so used to going for Intel/Nvidia products when it comes to CPU/GPU after having bad experiences with AMD/ATI in the past. Thanks for the heads-up though!

Also still a bit undecided when it comes to the system drive. Still not sure wether I should go with the Vertex 4 or Samsung 830... They're both in the same pricerange also. Any thoughts?
Related resources
October 10, 2012 9:40:27 PM

Needs more storage if you're doing serious video work.
October 11, 2012 8:58:07 AM

Unfortunately the store I'm going to make my purchases from doesn't supply Plextor drives. Pretty much limited to OCZ, Samsung, Intel, Corsair, Western Digital and Kingston when it comes to SSD's.

So I'd guess it really comes down to Vertex 4 and Samsung 830. The Samsung seems to be quite a bit slower on the writes when looking at the specs, but at those speeds do you really notice the difference between 320MB/s VS. 430MB/s on writespeed and 520MB/s VS. 430MB/s on readspeed? But then again reviews seem to praise the reliability of the Samsung, which is something that's extreamly important for a system drive.

Considering these facts, which would you go for?

And as for lack of storage this is only for OS & software. As stated in the original post I'm taking HDD's from my old build (around 6 TB total)
October 11, 2012 12:06:28 PM

I would go for the Vertex 4. It's suppose to be cheaper and it's very reliable, unlike the other OCZ SSDs.
October 12, 2012 8:06:30 AM

Been thinking of the CPU cooling solution also, and I've started considering replacing the Noctua NH-D14 with a Corsair H100. There's a fw reasons I'm considering this. For one the H100 is supposed to be atleast slightly more efficient and I'm afraid that the Noctua heatsink would interfere with RAM installation. The H100 is also just ~30€ more expensive than the Noctua and I've watched some youtube videos which show that it's possible to install the radiator to the top of the Cooler Master HAF X case that I've chosen.

Another question I came to think of was: is there any advantage/disadvantage of using 2x 8gb ram instead of 4x 4gb? Besides the obvious that you can reach the max capacity eventually by filling all slots with 8gb modules.
October 12, 2012 2:03:07 PM

Don't waste your money on the Corsair H##. If you're gonna watercool, you should do it right and get one of those custom water cooling kits.

You won't have to worry about the Noctua NH-D14 conflicting with the RAM if you get Low Profile versions.
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d...

There's no real advantage on 2x8gb RAM, just convenience- Lesser chance of a stick failing, room for upgrade, and you can switch the RAM module on another slot if ever the need arises.
!