Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

120 hz pc monitor vs tv

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 17, 2012 2:57:47 PM

120 hz pc monitor vs 120 hz tv screen

660 ti

More about : 120 monitor

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2012 3:09:09 PM

PC monitor will look much better, because as you can guess, it's designed to be used with PC :) .
August 17, 2012 3:25:39 PM

using a TV may or may not present you a number of problems from input lag, no support for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling resulting in very poor image quality (imagine a low quality jpeg file), ghosting, and low pixel density due to the larger pixels.

you could set the TV to PC/Game mode, turn off post processing features, perform an EDID Override Fix, etc. but there is no 100% guarantee it will work perfectly or reduce the problem to your personal liking.

some rule of thumb when choosing a TV as a monitor for gaming; the cheaper ones with less features (i.e; dejuddering, active contrast, SMART TVs) tend to cause less problems, Samsung has some serious input lag with their tvs as a PC monitor, and long hours of research and asking in forums helps.

if you're serious about a 120hz display, go for the monitor. using a 120hz TV is a gamble unless someone here can recommend you one out of personal experience.
Related resources
August 17, 2012 3:26:58 PM

Hazle said:
using a TV may or may not present you a number of problems from input lag, no support for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling resulting in very poor image quality (imagine a low quality jpeg file), ghosting, and low pixel density due to the larger pixels.

you could set the TV to PC/Game mode, turn off post processing features, perform an EDID Override Fix, etc. but there is no 100% guarantee it will work perfectly or reduce the problem to your personal liking.

some rule of thumb when choosing a TV as a monitor for gaming; the cheaper ones with less features (i.e; dejuddering, active contrast, SMART TVs) tend to cause less problems, Samsung has some serious input lag with their tvs as a PC monitor, and long hours of research and asking in forums helps.

if you're serious about a 120hz display, go for the monitor. using a 120hz TV is a gamble unless someone here can recommend you one out of personal experience.


can you recommend a specific computer monitor

im not interested in 3d gaming
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a c 122 C Monitor
August 17, 2012 3:38:32 PM

The biggest issue with using a 120hz TV is the lack of dual-link DVI or Displayport. Without one of those, the TV can't receive over 60 FPS of information.
a b Î Nvidia
a b x TV
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2012 4:17:56 PM

with a single 660ti, unless your going to be running your games on lower than max details and running 3D then i would just get a regular high quality 60hz monitor.
August 17, 2012 4:28:30 PM

mauller07 said:
with a single 660ti, unless your going to be running your games on lower than max details and running 3D then i would just get a regular high quality 60hz monitor.


2x 660 Ti in SLi
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2012 4:35:05 PM

whatismyproblem said:
2x 660 Ti in SLi

Which is it? First you just say 660Ti in your OP, now that ^

How many monitors are you going to be using?
August 17, 2012 4:41:17 PM

dingo07 said:
Which is it? First you just say 660Ti in your OP, now that ^

How many monitors are you going to be using?


its 2x 660 Ti in SLi

I'm not sure if I want 120hz 1080p or 60hz 1440p, which is better?
August 17, 2012 5:28:51 PM

1440P, though you may as well stick with three 1080p monitors. haven't seen what three 1440 would do to the 660ti performance-wise, but i reckoned 3x1080p monitors isn't so bad if it'll avoid a lower fps with 3x1440P monitors.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a c 122 C Monitor
August 17, 2012 5:46:58 PM

I prefer 120hz 1080p. Mostly due to 3D Vision, but it is smoother even in normal 2D gaming. Elite first person shooter gamers like 120hz for lower latency between movement and action, it also makes tracking moving targets every so slightly easier.

1440p would make everything look a bit sharper. This is more pronounced with text at the desktop, but it is evident in gaming too. One down side to 1440p is the latency is increased over even a 1080p 60hz monitor, though this is improving.

EDIT: The lower latency has another benefit to me, and many others; it helps eliminate motion sickness. Even if I don't visually see a big difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS, I feel a big difference in nausea. At 60hz & 60 FPS (I use v-sync for no tearing), I get nauseated after 30 mins of play. I don't when I reach 120hz/90FPS.
!