Sign in with
Your question

Bottleneck Locations

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2013 12:51:57 PM

So quick one, I know people don´t like many posts on this subject:

I´m trying to find a "bottleneck" in my PC (i.e. weather I upgrade GPU or wait a few months and change the entire thing)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 950
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 1GB
RAM: 12Gb (3 x 2Gb + 2x4Gb) all at 1600Mhz
MoBo: Asus P6X58D-E
PSU: CoolerMaster 750W (60A on 12V rail)

Until a year ago - 6 months ago I used to be able to run almost anything on max settings, but I´ve realized lately with some games (Hitman Absolution and a few others), the games offer me an "optimal detected settings" of medium in some cases... Something of note is the fact that I live in Argentina, hence components are almost twice as expensive and usually 6 months behind on component availability, so top of the line upgrades are not really an option. Considering I built this machine almost 3 years ago (lately I added the extra RAM, which is why the RAM configuration is kinda awkward) I have no idea if I should buy another Radeon 6870 to crossfire, go with a more powerful GPU like the GeF 660 or the Radeon 7970, or if upgrading the GPU is a moot point, because my CPU is dragging me down. I "kinda" want to futureproof myself for a comparable PS4 configuration (and the new XBOX), since I did that when the XBOX360 and PS3 came out, and it has lasted a big portion of this generation´s games.
Should I upgrade or wait another year or so and redo the entire system?

Thanks in advanced

More about : bottleneck locations

February 22, 2013 5:58:49 PM

Your GPU is your bottleneck, but also your RAM arrangement. I'd say a Radeon 7870 or higher.
m
l
February 22, 2013 6:02:16 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think 2x8Gb of RAM would improve transfer rates as dual channels are best utilized.
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
February 22, 2013 6:45:29 PM

The ram is not an issue. X58 supports flex mode so should be in tri+dual. Higher density sticks don't make a difference.

A better gpu would be your best bet. Another 6870 may be the cheaper solution. You could also oc your cpu.
m
l
!