Bottleneck Locations

So quick one, I know people don´t like many posts on this subject:

I´m trying to find a "bottleneck" in my PC (i.e. weather I upgrade GPU or wait a few months and change the entire thing)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 950
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 1GB
RAM: 12Gb (3 x 2Gb + 2x4Gb) all at 1600Mhz
MoBo: Asus P6X58D-E
PSU: CoolerMaster 750W (60A on 12V rail)

Until a year ago - 6 months ago I used to be able to run almost anything on max settings, but I´ve realized lately with some games (Hitman Absolution and a few others), the games offer me an "optimal detected settings" of medium in some cases... Something of note is the fact that I live in Argentina, hence components are almost twice as expensive and usually 6 months behind on component availability, so top of the line upgrades are not really an option. Considering I built this machine almost 3 years ago (lately I added the extra RAM, which is why the RAM configuration is kinda awkward) I have no idea if I should buy another Radeon 6870 to crossfire, go with a more powerful GPU like the GeF 660 or the Radeon 7970, or if upgrading the GPU is a moot point, because my CPU is dragging me down. I "kinda" want to futureproof myself for a comparable PS4 configuration (and the new XBOX), since I did that when the XBOX360 and PS3 came out, and it has lasted a big portion of this generation´s games.
Should I upgrade or wait another year or so and redo the entire system?

Thanks in advanced
3 answers Last reply
More about bottleneck locations
  1. Your GPU is your bottleneck, but also your RAM arrangement. I'd say a Radeon 7870 or higher.
  2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think 2x8Gb of RAM would improve transfer rates as dual channels are best utilized.
  3. The ram is not an issue. X58 supports flex mode so should be in tri+dual. Higher density sticks don't make a difference.

A better gpu would be your best bet. Another 6870 may be the cheaper solution. You could also oc your cpu.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck