Galaxy 660 Ti 3gb vs. Power edition 670 2gb

velazkid

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
I need some help from some hopefully knowledgeable people. I don't really want to hear about straight up performance in terms of FPS on this matter. Rather, I just want to know which of those 2 cards is more future proof. I would think, that having an extra gig of RAM, therefore more space for high res textures, would be the winner. But then I don't know how much the bus widths come into play. The 660Ti has a192 bus speed, while the 670 has 256. Is the 660Ti still more future proof because while the 670 has a faster bus speed, the 660Ti has more room for textures. A scenario might be that, maybe when the next gen consoles come out and high res textures are more common, the games might take more than 2 gigs of RAM, so having more of it even though it's on a slower bus speed, would be better? Any help would be appreciated.

ilikesoldat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
yeah im thinking about the same thing. im planning on 660 ti and i want to get MSI's power edition since it overclocks so hard it BEATS a maxed out overclocked 670

the only one part im scared of is that it doesnt have 3 gigs of ram. but IMO the triple overvolt overclocking feature is more important than 3gigs ram cuz when games come out that need 3 gigs for textures at 1080p u also need that extra power to run them anyway, so maybe its best to just put it as max settings as vram allows and overclock the crap out of that, i think that might be more future proof. thats my opinion

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

they tested the overclocked msi against a 670 at reference clocks...it beat it in one game, by a slim margin. and before you say its a gigabyte overclocked edition, read at the bottom of the graphics cards section, it says "all overclocked cards were reduced to reference specs." i would get a 670 if the money allows. the 660 is a good card, but it will get beat by the 670 most of the time

forgot to post the references:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-11.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-17.html

motorneuron

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I would think that the 192-bit bus, as opposed to the sheer amount of VRAM, is a particular vulnerability as newer games arrive, but I'm not sure. I say that because in intense settings, the 670 and 680 are already bus-limited more than memory-amount-limited. OCing the RAM helps, of course, but you can only go so high, and the clock on the 600 series RAM is already quite high. But hey, something new is always coming along, and you can only future-proof so much.