Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help needed choosing a new video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 17, 2012 3:05:18 PM

Hello Tom's hardware community. I'm looking for a better video card under a $100 and I'd like to ask one question.


My current computer set is:

Motherboard: MSI P43T-C51 (MS-7519) (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Eaglelake P43
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.70GHz (13.5 x 200)
RAM: 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (1024 MB)
HDD: WDC WD15EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (1500 GB, SATA-III)

The question would be:
What is the difference between single-slot and dual-slot GPUs and will a dual-slot card fit in my motherboard?

Currently I have these cards in my consideration list:
GeForce GT 630
GeForce GT 440
GeForce GT 430

I use this PC for gaming, video editing and rendering, socializing etc. so a good video card suitable for everything would be great.

Do not suggest any Radeon video cards, since I always go with Nvidia stuff, thanks!

So, please help me choose and if you have any more suggestions write them in the replies.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
JustColaM
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:07:36 PM

For that price, GT 440 GDDR5 would be the best bet for you!
August 17, 2012 3:30:46 PM

Sunius said:
For that price, GT 440 GDDR5 would be the best bet for you!

Are you sure DDR3 1GB wouldn't be better?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:30:54 PM

if that were my price range, i would consider something used/refurbished rather than those cards for gaming....

this card would be potentially a little constrained by your cpu, but hey its a good price assuming your psu can handle it!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
August 17, 2012 3:32:58 PM

carowden said:
if that were my price range, i would consider something used/refurbished rather than those cards for gaming....

this card would be potentially a little constrained by your cpu, but hey its a good price assuming your psu can handle it!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...


Thanks for the reply but the price is a bit too high, considering I live in Lithuania, it's hard to find a price-off like that here.


One more thing! I forgot to mention that I don't have supplementary power connectors in my PSU, and I'm not going to change it, so please give me video cards without the SPC requirement.
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 3:37:55 PM

okay it was a longshot, but i thought id give it a try haha. if thats the case the 440 would probably be your best bet as sunius said, but high detail isnt going to be an option on most games

also to answer your previous question, yes a dual slot card will fit on your motherboard
August 17, 2012 3:41:52 PM

carowden said:
okay it was a longshot, but i thought id give it a try haha. if thats the case the 440 would probably be your best bet as sunius said, but high detail isnt going to be an option on most games

also to answer your previous question, yes a dual slot card will fit on your motherboard


I never go too much for quality, I just need a better card than my old GT 9400, anyways, thanks for the reply, one more question.

Geforce GT 440 1GB DDR3 OR Geforce GT 440 512MB GDDR5?

Thanks!
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 5:04:37 PM

GDDR5 is around 15% faster than DDR3.

justcolam said:
Thanks for the reply but the price is a bit too high, considering I live in Lithuania, it's hard to find a price-off like that here.


Did you even bother looking before making such a bold statement?

http://www.skelbiu.lt/skelbimai/parduodu-vga-gigabyte-n...
http://www.skelbimai.lt/geforce-gtx-260-core-216-896mb-...
http://www.skelbimai.lt/nvidia-geforce-9800gt-1gb-ddr3-...
http://www.skelbimai.lt/parduodu-dvi-8800gtx-4981402.ht...

I am not saying that you should get a used card if you don't want to, but at least don't say things without checking them out first..
August 17, 2012 5:35:54 PM

Sunius said:
GDDR5 is around 15% faster than DDR3.



Did you even bother looking before making such a bold statement?

http://www.skelbiu.lt/skelbimai/parduodu-vga-gigabyte-n...
http://www.skelbimai.lt/geforce-gtx-260-core-216-896mb-...
http://www.skelbimai.lt/nvidia-geforce-9800gt-1gb-ddr3-...
http://www.skelbimai.lt/parduodu-dvi-8800gtx-4981402.ht...

I am not saying that you should get a used card if you don't want to, but at least don't say things without checking them out first..


You do realise that it needs power connectors which I dont have and I want an never used one? (New)

Thanks anyways, I guess..
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 9:50:58 PM

I know that, but I just showed that it's always possible to find something cheap used despite where you live.
!