Monitor going black, unable to wake even after boot.

wrec

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hi,

I'm having an issue with my monitor sometimes going to sleep mode and refusing to wake up. The computer continues to function perfectly fine, at least I was able to talk with my friends on skype without seeing anything. This has now happened two times in about two weeks, always during playing Diablo III.

Sounds like a good old driver issue, I thought to myself. Then I tried to reboot, and still nothing. A number of reboots later, removing the graphics card and trying onboard video outputs still nothing. Then I suddenly got a signal on another monitor I decided to try. I now hooked up my primary display and presto, picture was back.

So, the thing that seems the most reasonable is that this is a monitor issue, and that it's somehow losing the signal due to whatever reason. It's a new monitor though, and unfortunately I didn't come up with trying the other monitor in its stead at the time.
So I guess my question is, has anyone else experienced similar issues, and what was the solution? Or should I just take my monitor back to the retailer and get it replaced?

Thanks in advance, system specs below.

My system:
CPU: i5 3570k
MB: Asus P8Z77-V LE
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600
GPU: Zotac GTX 560 ti 448 cores
SSD: Intel 330 180GB
PSU: 650W
Display: Samsung Syncmaster S22B300H (HDMI version)

wrec

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Apparently my Kingston memory modules are specced for 1,65v, while the BIOS says that 1,5v is the standard. I had the setting on auto, which should give the memories their specced voltage, but then again the BIOS didn't detect that the sticks were 1600mhz at first either. So now I changed the voltage manually to 1,65. Time will tell if it helped. Anyone ever experience something like the above mentioned related to memory voltage?

wrec

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
That would make sense in a way, because my other monitor doesn't have a HDMI connector. Still odd though. Any other experiences?

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I've had the problem of the monitor not waking up after moving the mouse, although the tower would wake up. Turning the monitor off, then back on would bring back the picture. Later discovered that it only happened when using the hdmi connection, but never happened with VGA or DVI connector.