Best CPU for ESXI?

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
As the title says im looking for the Best CPU for esxi...Except under 300$ and its a desktop CPU not Server.

So right now i have a Phenom II X4 964 processor with 16GB ram.

Im looking to upgrade the Ram to 32GB and well my mother board doesnt support it. Its an AM3+ and max ram is 16GB.

I was thinking of getting another AM3+ motherboard that supports 32GB ram(Micro ATX) and using same CPU then down the road upgrading to the FX 8 Core processor. But im trying to see what you guys think is the best idea.

My only problem right now is i have 3 VMs running on it and when i remote in theres lag on the machine and i believe it to be because of the harddrive cant keep up with the reading and writing of all the OS's but im not sure. But also my ram is at a max so that could be the cause but ESXI should be using Over commit since im allocating more then i have.

Sorry if this is confusing so if it doesnt make sense just say so and ill try again im just looking for best solution so i dont waste more money.

kkroy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Any reason you dont want to use a server class CPU.
I just built the 'chill-n-cool' ESXI server. It came to less than 250 for the processor but its a xeon.
This is the config I used from this link:
http://www.ajaydivakaran.com/2013/03/08/new-chill-n-cool-esxi-server/