Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU for ESXI?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2013 1:27:48 PM

As the title says im looking for the Best CPU for esxi...Except under 300$ and its a desktop CPU not Server.

So right now i have a Phenom II X4 964 processor with 16GB ram.

Im looking to upgrade the Ram to 32GB and well my mother board doesnt support it. Its an AM3+ and max ram is 16GB.

I was thinking of getting another AM3+ motherboard that supports 32GB ram(Micro ATX) and using same CPU then down the road upgrading to the FX 8 Core processor. But im trying to see what you guys think is the best idea.

My only problem right now is i have 3 VMs running on it and when i remote in theres lag on the machine and i believe it to be because of the harddrive cant keep up with the reading and writing of all the OS's but im not sure. But also my ram is at a max so that could be the cause but ESXI should be using Over commit since im allocating more then i have.

Sorry if this is confusing so if it doesnt make sense just say so and ill try again im just looking for best solution so i dont waste more money.

More about : cpu esxi

a c 117 à CPUs
February 22, 2013 2:47:35 PM

How fast is your hard drive? If your VMs cause a lot of disk I/O, have you considered using one HD per VM? A faster processor won't help, but more memory would if the VMs are too large for the amount of memory currently installed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 3:01:02 PM

If you can't afford new hard drives, partitioning may allow for a moderate stability increase.
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2013 3:28:29 PM

Can you partition for ESXI? All the VMs i put are thin provisioned. Also its just a Samsung F3 7200RPM.
m
l
!