Sign in with
Your question

Advice and Opinions - Upgrade please

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2012 4:46:26 PM

Hi guys,

I built my first (gaming pc) about three years ago and ive been very happy with everything so far.

I've looked at the recommended system requirements for Far Cry 3 and i was thinking it might be time for a slight upgrade.

Heres my current specs:

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 BE
MoBo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
GPU: Saphire HD 5870
Memory: Xms DDR3 2x2GB 1600 cl7 Corsair RAM
PSU: 750w Corsair XT

I was wondering what sort of upgrades you guys would recommend.

No set budget, was thinking of doubling the Ram though.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 5:09:55 PM

I would suggest the gpu to a much newer one. Are you using xp or windows 7? And is it 32 or 64? If it is 32 then 4 gigs is your max ram. If it is 64 you could go as high as 32 gigs of ram (over kill really). 8 gigs for windows 7 64 seems to be the sweet spot so a newer gp and bumping up to 8 gig ram should see some fps improvements.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2012 5:15:36 PM

I agree with getting more RAM and a new GPU. Although if you have to limit spending, I would go for a bigger GPU first and then more RAM down the line. Almost nothing uses more than 4 GB of RAM, especially gaming.

Another option to consider is getting a new CPU cooler, CM 212 Evo comes to mind, and overclock your CPU as well as adding on a bigger GPU. Something in the 7870 range should be plenty to run Far Cry 3 and have it look great.

Also, if you are looking for overall performance boost, SSD all the way. Best/most significant upgrade available to any PC right now.
m
l
!