Sign in with
Your question
Solved

~$2000 Build final thoughts before purchase

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2012 8:37:56 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week

Budget Range: Around $2000, not too worried about money as long as its worth it, so if you see something that you think i should upgrade let me know.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internets, video editing

Are you buying a monitor: Most likely buying 3x24inch from a friend, but if that goes down the crapper I am going to buy 2x ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, plan to buy a second card if I decide to go to 3 monitors

Your Monitor Resolution: Starting with dual monitor ( only gaming on one) and will add 3rd monitor by end of the year. Going to try playing my buddies eyefinity to see how much i like it.

Additional Comments: Going with the 670 4gb due to using multi monitor, from all the reviews and arguments i've seen between 2gb vs 4gb i am fine spending the extra bucks on 4, i have to spend this bonus money anyhow. As far as going with nvidia, the only amd card i would want is the sapphire vapor-x 7970ghz but as we all know it's never in stock.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Have an asus gaming labtop which works great, just time to move on to desktop though.

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQqR
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQqR/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQqR/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($182.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.88 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($457.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VO200M1W2N (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1553.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

*Case- might go with NZXT Switch 810 (black)

*Still deciding between that gigabyte mobo and an Asus mobo

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, just making sure i got this setup as best i can before purchase.

P.S Just wanted to say thanks to bigcyco, g-unit, excella, and big troll. Sorry if i butchered your names, just going off memory. Most of my research and decisions came from your guy's suggestions and advice to other people. :love: 

Best solution

October 9, 2012 11:31:22 PM

Whilst i7 has it's benefits, with high-end photographic software, like Adobe CS, you need to be doing a fair bit, to justify the extra cost, over i5. i7 has virtually no benefit, for gaming. Stick with i7, by all means, provided you appreciate it's benefits are limited.
For RAM, I would recommend using GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport, to ensure good clearance, in relation to cooler.
Other than that, all very good.
October 9, 2012 11:41:05 PM

Also, the heatsinks on the Ripjaws RAM may interfere with CPU cooler installation. Recommend you get the G.skill Ares or another low profile set. Better safe than sorry!
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2012 11:54:06 PM

stormweaver1983 said:
Also, the heatsinks on the Ripjaws RAM may interfere with CPU cooler installation. Recommend you get the G.skill Ares or another low profile set. Better safe than sorry!

Nope. Had a set of ripjaws on m-atx build with a cm hyp 212. No prob with clearance. Good build OP.
m
l
October 10, 2012 12:41:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I switched to the ares 8gb just in case.

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)

[/quote]
malbluff said:
Whilst i7 has it's benefits, with high-end photographic software, like Adobe CS, you need to be doing a fair bit, to justify the extra cost, over i5. i7 has virtually no benefit, for gaming. Stick with i7, by all means, provided you appreciate it's benefits are limited.
For RAM, I would recommend using GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport, to ensure good clearance, in relation to cooler.
Other than that, all very good.

I agree with you exactly about the 3770k and am still deciding if the minimal benefits are worth it, especially since from what i've been seeing a 3570k can outclock it. I'm sure i will contemplating it right up until purchase. Thanks for the input though.
m
l
October 10, 2012 4:55:51 PM

Best answer selected by awesomelyaverage.
m
l
!