Power supply upgrade

mydragon15

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
i have a rosewill stallion 500w psu and i want to upgrade as it is just not completing everyhting it should be doing.

case - rosewill challenger
mobo - msi 970a-g46
cpu - phenom ii x4 965 be
gpu - hd 7770

the cables are to short and some barely reach once i put the graphics card in (almost crushes it)

and for some reason whenever i plug it into the 3rd fan *large on on top inside of the case* nothing works at all as if it can't get power to it.

i can only get it to work with one screen at a time also as the other screen starts to give me the message that there is not enough power to display it.

can someone recommend a good power supply that is less then $100 and will complete my needs. I have room to crossfire and sli if i want to but chances are i won't so that isn't really necessary.

i do plan to overclock my cpu later though and will need a psu that can handle it.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Strange , 500 watts should be more than enough for that setup . And don't screens plug into the wall for power ? I have an old 4 year 500 watt antec powering an FX 8350 with 6770 gpu running 3 screens .
Antec HCG 620M is good , have it on one of my computers 1090t 7850 gpu , was on sale for 69.00 . Any good 500+ watt psu should be more than enough ,
Seasonic , XFX , Corsair or Antec are a few good brands

Hi - logain & jerry are correct, a quality 500w unit is more than enough for your
rig.

Rosewill has some very good PSU's out there, the Capstone, Fortress, and
Tachion series in particular. Other than those three series, I am not so sure
I would recommend their other series.

The XFX 550 linked above is an ex upgrade and more than enough for your system.
You might want to consider the 650w version (even tho you do not need)
strictly as a price/perf value:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014 nets to $62 after mir & promo

mydragon15

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
thank you, i will look into why it seems to be having trouble powering it.
my just be a mistake of my own with plugging it in.
i have heard alot about the xfx 550 and will probably get that one in the next couple days.
i will have the older one tested before i sale it to see if it was a problem with it or not. its not even 2 months old its just being quirky and has an unstable feel to it.

TRENDING THREADS