Sign in with
Your question

Boot Loop

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2013 4:14:03 PM

Hi guys,

I recently turned my secondary PC on after a week of no use and annoyingly it is stuck in a continuous boot loop. It turns on and all the fans spin and after about 15 seconds it shuts down and boots back up. I believe it to be heat related as I have recently been having strangely high temps.

So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas?

To make it easier, here is what I have tried:

Taking out the CPU and reapplying the thermal paste and obviously re-seating it in the process.
Replacing the ram with some old RAM i found in my cupboard (256mb DDR)
Swapping out the graphics card.

These were things I could do as I had things laying around, I was hoping you guys had any ideas before we cross the 'spending money bridge'.

My specs are:
Intel i3 2120 @ 3.30Ghz
Intel stock cooler
Gigabyte GA-P61-USB3-B3 H61
AMD Radeon 6770
2 x Samsung 500Gb harddrives
OCZ ZX 650w PSU
Bitfenix Shinobi Case

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advanced
Rob

More about : boot loop

a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 6:19:22 PM

The i3 is generally a cool running processor, it should get you to windows without overheating. Can you boot to the BIOS? If not it may be the motherboard or your power supply. Continual booting is something I have seen before, if you have no display showing or a no-signal on your display and it only takes a few seconds before it reboots then try using another power supply and bread boarding you MOBO.

To do this take the motherboard out of the case, use on board graphics if they are available or a known working display card. Use the known working Power supply from your other computer or find a power supply you know works. Then place the motherboard on a piece of cardboard bigger than the motherboard so that none of the components on the bottom are touching anything except the cardboard. Plug the power supply in, no hard drive at this point please or any other peripherals except a keyboard. Now take a flat head screw driver and touch the power pins +,- to turn on the computer. If it boots to the bios your MOBO is good and we can blame the power supply, if not it's time to get another motherboard.
!