hitesh12

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I want to see a real life comparison between these 2 gpus.
Now this might look like an odd comparison :p
The reason is that I may buy a second hand 280 . So I wanna know where it will stand with the newest line of gpus. I picked up 7770 as it was closest in the gpu benchmarks.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Looking at the benchmarks lets say that they perform equal ie they give same fps.
Now is there any other factor I should consider ?
Overclocking is out as I have H61 chipset .
One another factor I'm thinking of is power consumption.
http://www.hwcompare.com/11955/geforce-gtx-280-vs-radeon-hd-7770/
Should I worry about this ?
Can this damage me on a long term ?
Also is there any way to reduce power consumption when the is idle?
I mean reducing it to quite a significant value. My runs 20 hours a day so this is important.
After power consumption any other factor ?

Thnx

you can OC your gpu independent of your motherboard chip set.

The 7770 supports dx11 which would be useful in future games, some games may even become dx11 only but that hasn't happened yet.

7770 should be about 10% more powerful than the gtx280 and it should consume half the power. It also has very good overclocking. 7770 idel power consumption is very low and even lower with AMD's zerocore if your screen is turned off.

450w should be able to run a 7770 but if its really cheap, it might die to just being used. If they are really cheap, they might explode.

G

any performance comparison would strictly be a guess since the benchmarks are from games in different "eras"; unless you can find a COD4 bench for the 7770 with a C2Q platform.

both cards support DX10; any speculation as to future games going dx11 only is ludicrous; that would completely cut off a large market by game developers. future games will support dx11 and dx10 or 9c.
List of games with DirectX 11 support

though the deal breaker is the power consumption. given that you have a no name 450 watt PSU your better choice is the 7770. you would need to add in the cost of a PSU upgrade when looking at the price of the GTX 280 and given the age of the card with that expense, it most likely won't be any sort of deal.

hitesh12

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
"any performance comparison would strictly be a guess since the benchmarks are from games in different "eras"; unless you can find a COD4 bench for the 7770 with a C2Q platform."
Wow didn't knew that. Any way to compare these 2 on a new game ?

"though the deal breaker is the power consumption. given that you have a no name 450 watt PSU your better choice is the 7770. you would need to add in the cost of a PSU upgrade when looking at the price of the GTX 280 and given the age of the card with that expense, it most likely won't be any sort of deal"
Power supply is not an issue . I have budget for this.
Age not a problem.

idel power can be lowered if you lower the voltage on the card, not really worth doing.

The 7770 is slower than a stock clocked gtx460 by about 10% give or take while a gtx280 is only around 5% slower. I own a gtx460 256bit edition and two gtx280 so I know how they perform at their stock clocks. Overclocked the gtx280 will beat a 7770 hands down even until the 7770 is pushed to 1.2ghz then both cards will end up being the same. A 900mhz gtx460/560 will beat both but power wise the 7770 wins all the rounds. Low idle load and meager full load. The gtx280 could be pushed pretty high provided the card is modded and had good aftermarket cooling. The shader in theory could be pushed to 1.8ghz while the core around 700mhz but only when unlinked. That would put it range of some of the more higher end cards but power consumption is going to be very high. Try gtx580 levels and with the stock inductors life will be short so you will need to replace those. The 285 doesn't have such a solid power vrm but hits pretty high clocks as is. A typical 460 tops out around 900mhz. A typical 7770 is around 1.1ghz.

So take your pick in terms of raw performance while power you will be saving with almost any GCN based card. Even a 7970 ghz edition would be using less power in average use.

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

not true an GTX 460 is not 10% faster than a HD 7770

I only consider total averages from more than just one review site. As for anand you don't know what settings they used to configure their test systems and what the actual settings used in all of their game benches. So if you are smart enough it pays to check several places as well owner reviews what and how things tend to perform.

G

no. cards are benched with what games are relevant at the time. being a few generations apart trying to bench the 280 compared to the 7770 would be trying to compare the 280 to a 4xx or 6xxx series nvidia/ati(amd) card. then compare the 4xx/6xxx series card to the 7770. and as you can see from the other posts; a bit of debate can ensure as far as the performance of the "control" card.

then first and foremost get a PSU like:

XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition $69.99
After Mail In Rebate: $59.99 USD

you'll not ever be concerned with a single card set up again.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/28.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7770_Vapor-X/28.html

6850 as the reference, 7770 is faster. The 2 drivers updates since the review for the 7770 also increased performance of the GCN cards by a few %.

TRENDING THREADS