Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$600 Gaming Budget Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 9, 2012 9:46:15 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: In 2 Weeks

Budget Range: $600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing web, Movies

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Location: Findlay, Ohio

Parts Preferences: What ever gives the most bang for my buck.

Overclocking: Maybe.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 (Plan on upgarding to a 1920x1080 later on)

Additional Comments: I'm new to PC building so any help will be appreciated. The system will be used mostly for games like: Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands 2.

Why Are You Upgrading: Moving from PS3 to PC gaming.

My list of parts I have so far:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $92.99
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412144...

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $64.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT $33.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $19.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $616.91

Like I said new to PC building so I more then likely made allot mistakes in picking parts.

Best solution

October 9, 2012 10:18:58 PM

Hey,

I have a few questions here.
Have you thought about buying some stuff used?

Else I have these comments.
Why X4 965? If you want a budget build go for a H61 motherboard and a Sandy Bridge Pentium G620/G630/G840
If you look at the reviews, these will be almost as good as a 2600k i7 for gaming.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1877/3/

I'm gaming on a Pentium G620
Think you can save like $40 on the CPU then and maybe $30 on the motherboard.

And you are taking a 550 watt PSU? For the system above it's pretty overkill. You can go with 400 watt. But if you want more power system, you should go with 500 watt+.

And that graphics card is not for gaming - so save on the other things I said and then buy a better GFX.

My idea would be that you exchange CPU, motherboard and GFX with these:

CPU: Intel Pentium G850 (better than mine) - 2.9 Ghz - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel - $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Multiple options with GFX: (We saved $30 on CPU and $40 on Motherboard, so that's why I go all the way up to $170 on GFX now - same budget):

MSI N650-1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - $120:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-685A-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $140:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HIS H785F1G2M Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $165:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Galaxy 56NPH6HS4IXX GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) GC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card / $167:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


All these cards are better than the one you have. You wont be able to play games like Battlefield 3 etc. on that setup you've build.

And I would take this Powersupply instead:
Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-575M 575W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im not checking a lot here, but if you need specific help, email me at mmhbloom@gmail.com

I have build more than 100 systems over time :) 

Hope that helped a bit!

Here is the build, I would go for:

http://i50.tinypic.com/iyhsuh.png

And last comment, I would probably go for a 120 GB SSD instead of a harddrive - just a cheaper one to keep your budget. Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That will give you a lot of speed on your system too!
Share
Related resources
October 9, 2012 11:48:04 PM

True I agree, but I just wanted to let him now that he will get good FPS with that build.
I use the Pentium G620 for BF3 and it's fine!

But yes, the i3 2120 is way better, I totally agree, but he has a budget as well!
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:13:13 AM

Both are about 1hr+ away from him so I don't think that's an option. I just did a quick google for Microcenters in OH.

Anyways, check out my $500-$650 here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module14669582...
Instead of the i3 3220 get the i3 2100 here and save $45:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
OS here (+$69): http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-...
Total: $599

Way better than an AMD build, you'll get the 7850 and it's pretty solid price. The windows link is valid with the retailer having a BBB rating of an A+
http://www.bbb.org/memphis/business-reviews/computer-so...
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:20:30 AM

Great info!

Yeah, get the Windows at Software Supply Group and safe some money there and get the i3 2100 for $80...

You will get a great gamer for that now!
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:33:33 AM

Phenom II x4 is better than i3 for BF3 MP...

If you overclock, then Intel has nothing short of the i5s that can compete with AMD.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:45:23 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jRYs

$600 build with a Radeon 7870 and a Phenom II x4 that can be overclocked to far beyond any i3.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jS1t

Even better, $600 build with Trinity A8-5600K and otherwise roughly the same. Disable the IGP and watch it fly in overclocking.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-dri...

You can switch out the 7870 for a 7850 and get this SSD with the money saved if you want an SSD. 90GB is decent. A higher budget such as $650 would allow for a much better model.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:49:21 AM

I do agree that the X4 Phenom II can be overclocked, but look at the reviews. The i3 or the Pentiums will get the same FPS, so isnt that more important?
And I said the Pentium G850 to safe money and spend it on HD7850 instead.

But really nice site for PC builders!
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:51:03 AM

verdenshersker said:
I do agree that the X4 Phenom II can be overclocked, but look at the reviews. The i3 or the Pentiums will get the same FPS, so isnt that more important?
And I said the Pentium G850 to safe money and spend it on HD7850 instead.

But really nice site for PC builders!


I wouldn't go so far back as the Pentiums. For them, you really have to look at benchmarks for them in the way that you'd use them because they can bottle-neck a lot of games. Whether or not they do so badly is too subjective for me to recommend them without making sure that OP wouldn't play games that would be intolerably bottle-necked.

The i3s also don't get the same FPS as the overclocked AMD CPUs all of the time. In games such as BF3 MP and Borderlands 2, the i3s lag behind the Phenom IIs, especially in BF3 with a lot of players. Not everyone doesn't mind that.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:53:11 AM

verdenshersker said:
And check here:
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6347/50408.png

The new Trinity even at 4.4 Ghz it scales bad compared to Pentium G850!


It can be overclocked a lot better than that. They didn't disable the IGP in that review, I checked. Also, don't forget that the A10 there has twice as many cores, so in any game that can use three or four cores (most DX11 games can use at least that many), AMD would have a significant advantage there. Also, that's a synthetic, not a real-world benchmark, so it isn't necessarily very accurate. People buying Intel should get an i5 if they want to game excellently.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:54:27 AM

Find me a game, where my Pentium is a bottleneck.

I just posted a link to BF3.

I have a Pentium G620 - only dual core at 2.6 Ghz, I don't say any bottleneck in games....
I have had almost everything and yes - this is just a cheap, fair build.

But when I had A8-3870K crossfired with HD6670, if was worse than my Pentium G620 + GT 240 1 GB.
My GFX is more bottleneck than my CPU.

Im not a fan boy - I work for another review site like Tomshardware in my own country, so im kinda use to have a lot of products.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:56:41 AM

Relax - im not here to start a war. I'm just telling OP from my perspective and experience what I would do, if I wanted to build a budget gamer....

Feels like you're trying to fight me as a AMD Fan Boy!

But I would love to see some reviews, where that new Trinity actually kick a** - cause then I'm gonna change my setup.... AGAIN :) 
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 12:59:03 AM

Tom's did an SBM with the Pentium G620 and the G860. Look it up if you want to see it. Some games are simply more CPU-dependent than others and what is good enough is highly subjective.

The A8-3870K is a much weaker CPU than the A8-5600K in overclocking. Dual-Graphics also has its own problems that aren't related to the CPU performance.

I'm not trying to start a war either, just pointing out what's better. OP can get what OP wants even if that's not what I recommend.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 1:02:35 AM

Sure - we are good :) 

But do you have the link to the review where they overclock the A8-5600K without the graphic?

I just want to see, cause I heard it is like a FX-4100 which I dont see a lot of performance from
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 1:11:05 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jIlh A cheap case so if you can get a better one i would but that be my recommended build and it is under $500 and so gives you some wiggle room on parts. The 5800k compares to and some times beats the i3 3220 in most benchmarks. Plus has a built in hd 7660. That is the one i would go with and then instead of the case in that build pick a better one.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 1:46:24 AM

since you will be upgrading to a 1080p monitor soon i dont think you should go for anything less than a hd7850 or gtx660 non ti.. as for cpu i suggest one of the newer ivy bridge i3's preferably the i3-3225 which has intel hd4000 which is suitable for gaming at your current 1280*1024 resolution so you dont need to get a graphics card for now ..then when you do get a 1080p display then decide what graphics card you wanna get.. for now i3-3225 with intel hd4000 is plenty
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 1:53:18 AM

mohit9206 said:
since you will be upgrading to a 1080p monitor soon i dont think you should go for anything less than a hd7850 or gtx660 non ti.. as for cpu i suggest one of the newer ivy bridge i3's preferably the i3-3225 which has intel hd4000 which is suitable for gaming at your current 1280*1024 resolution so you dont need to get a graphics card for now ..then when you do get a 1080p display then decide what graphics card you wanna get.. for now i3-3225 with intel hd4000 is plenty


Why would you recommend an i3 with the intent of having OP play with the IGP, even for a while, when the A10 is greatly superior in IGP performance? That doesn't make much sense. As a CPU, the Ivy i3s are good, but to have to play on their IGP is not any good for many games. 1280x1024 is most certainly out of reach for most modern games.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 2:32:55 AM

Phenom II X4 for me :D 

But an i3-2120 and an H61 motherboard is going to be cheaper(and more efficient) than Phenom II X4 965 and 970 motherboard. Get an HD 7750 over that expensive Asus 6670.


m
0
l
October 10, 2012 3:34:18 AM

WITHOUT REFERRING TO ANY IGPs OR ANYTHING BECAUSE THIS BUILD IS $600...


The link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

On average the i3 2100 is 9% better than the 955. With that said, the i3 3220 improves on that, and the links that I posted show that the 5800K is bad with a discrete card in comparison to the i3 3220.

Also maybe you should keep in mind luciferano that the i3 3220 + B75 route gives the OP a route to upgrade towards the i5 3450/3570K. While the FM2 socket leaves the OP stuck with FM2 and AM3+ stuck with the terrible upgrade path that is to Bulldozer. I'll admit AMD isn't TERRIBLE, but in the long run, especially since Ivy Bridge can use PCI 3.0, Intel is better.

FM2 has no high end chips like the i5 3570K, while the AM3+ chips are just left in the dust in comparison. BD chips run terribly inefficient when compared after overclocking especially. Clock for clock, BD is pretty bad.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 3:42:42 AM

The Core i3's are definitely better than the Phenom II x4's in gaming. The Phenom might offer better multitasking, but not better gaming.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 4:17:31 AM

It offers better gaming performance when overclocked, pretty much my whole argument so far.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 4:21:18 AM

aznshinobi said:
WITHOUT REFERRING TO ANY IGPs OR ANYTHING BECAUSE THIS BUILD IS $600...


The link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

On average the i3 2100 is 9% better than the 955. With that said, the i3 3220 improves on that, and the links that I posted show that the 5800K is bad with a discrete card in comparison to the i3 3220.

Also maybe you should keep in mind luciferano that the i3 3220 + B75 route gives the OP a route to upgrade towards the i5 3450/3570K. While the FM2 socket leaves the OP stuck with FM2 and AM3+ stuck with the terrible upgrade path that is to Bulldozer. I'll admit AMD isn't TERRIBLE, but in the long run, especially since Ivy Bridge can use PCI 3.0, Intel is better.

FM2 has no high end chips like the i5 3570K, while the AM3+ chips are just left in the dust in comparison. BD chips run terribly inefficient when compared after overclocking especially. Clock for clock, BD is pretty bad.


AM3+ is a better upgrade path than LGA 1155. Piledriver, Steamroller, and probably Excavator will be compatible with it and Steamroller and Excavator will be better than Sandy and Ivy bridge i5s and i7s.

I'll care about PCIe 3. when it matters and not before then. By the time that it does, no current CPU, LGA 1155 or otherwise, will be good enough anyways. Even today, a PCIe 1.x x16 slot is plenty for almost all cards to perform at over 90% of what they'd have in PCIe 3.0 x16 in most games.

Even today, if you take an FX-81xx CPU and disable or cut down in P states greatly the second core of each module and overclock the CPU/NB frequency, it can fight OC versus OC even against the i5 K editions in both performance and power consumption (against Sandy, yes, Ivy edges it out in power consumption significantly at load), so AMD competes pretty damn well. It's all about knowing how to use the CPU properly (something that AMD failed at doing, but their mistakes are easily remedied).
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:04:19 AM

luciferano said:
AM3+ is a better upgrade path than LGA 1155. Piledriver, Steamroller, and probably Excavator will be compatible with it and Steamroller and Excavator will be better than Sandy and Ivy bridge i5s and i7s.


They said Bulldozer would be equivalent to the 1st gen i7's, it wasn't even close. Still can't compare.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=100
Also, THG is fairly certain that Piledriver won't overtake Ivy Bridge, it'll bridge the gap, but not entirely.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...
Bottom of the page pretty much.

For Steamroller and Excavator, we shall see what socket they use. I'd hope Steamroller and Excavator will surpass Ivy Bridge, after all those will be 2-3, respectively, generations of CPUs. Intel has Haswell planned for next year and it's expected to jump their chips even further.


luciferano said:
I'll care about PCIe 3. when it matters and not before then. By the time that it does, no current CPU, LGA 1155 or otherwise, will be good enough anyways. Even today, a PCIe 1.x x16 slot is plenty for almost all cards to perform at over 90% of what they'd have in PCIe 3.0 x16 in most games.


That tidbit of PCIe 1.0, somewhat true. Depends on the card but the 7970 lost about 15% and the GTX 680 lost almost 30% worth of RL performance.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI...


luciferano said:
Even today, if you take an FX-81xx CPU and disable or cut down in P states greatly the second core of each module and overclock the CPU/NB frequency, it can fight OC versus OC even against the i5 K editions in both performance and power consumption (against Sandy, yes, Ivy edges it out in power consumption significantly at load), so AMD competes pretty damn well. It's all about knowing how to use the CPU properly (something that AMD failed at doing, but their mistakes are easily remedied).


I'm not sure what efficiency you're talking about.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8150-cpu-overclockin...
The power consumption is WAY higher than that of Ivy/Sandy when overclocked.

Per the overclock, you could push the 8150 to roughly the limit of 5GHZ just like the i5 3570K and the i5 3570K would still beat out the 8150 in benchmarks. Easily.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...
The stock i5 3570K in most cases edges out the overclocked 4.8ghz FX-8150 by a wide margin, after the overclock obviously even more. They only ran one game, ARMA 2, but in that the FX-8150 was crushed by the stock i5 3570K especially after OC too. Shogun 2 I'd expect the same considering it crushed the Thuban which is where the 8150 generally benches in games.

Here we see the power consumption totals, even if it is total system load.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...
The 8150 OC'd 4.8ghz gets about 586 on a total system load, while the same i5 3570K's 5GHZ OC only gets maybe HALF that.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:09:53 AM

aznshinobi said:
They said Bulldozer would be equivalent to the 1st gen i7's, it wasn't even close. Still can't compare.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=100
Also, THG is fairly certain that Piledriver won't overtake Ivy Bridge, it'll bridge the gap, but not entirely.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...
Bottom of the page pretty much.

For Steamroller and Excavator, we shall see what socket they use. I'd hope Steamroller and Excavator will surpass Ivy Bridge, after all those will be 2-3, respectively, generations of CPUs. Intel has Haswell planned for next year and it's expected to jump their chips even further.




That tidbit of PCIe 1.0, somewhat true. Depends on the card but the 7970 lost about 15% and the GTX 680 lost almost 30% worth of RL performance.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI...




I'm not sure what efficiency you're talking about.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8150-cpu-overclockin...
The power consumption is WAY higher than that of Ivy/Sandy when overclocked.

Per the overclock, you could push the 8150 to roughly the limit of 5GHZ just like the i5 3570K and the i5 3570K would still beat out the 8150 in benchmarks. Easily.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...
The stock i5 3570K in most cases edges out the overclocked 4.8ghz FX-8150 by a wide margin, after the overclock obviously even more. They only ran one game, ARMA 2, but in that the FX-8150 was crushed by the stock i5 3570K especially after OC too. Shogun 2 I'd expect the same considering it crushed the Thuban which is where the 8150 generally benches in games.

Here we see the power consumption totals, even if it is total system load.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...
The 8150 OC'd 4.8ghz gets about 586 on a total system load, while the same i5 3570K's 5GHZ OC only gets maybe HALF that.


You took everything that I said out of context. I never said that Piledriver would be better as it is, I said that Steamroller and Excavator would be. That's because I already know most of the changes that will be made and how many of them affect performance as anyone who's keeping up on the subject should.

I said that with the second core of each module disabled, not with the whole chip enabled, so stop with that BS and pay attention if you want to argue about this. Furthermnore, I clearly also said that Ivy would edge out The FX-81xx CPUs when modded in the way that I mentioned. That test was total system draw, so it didn't account for PSU efficiency nor did it account for other components such as motherboards (which can affect power consumption more significantly than you might think) and again, it accounted for twice as many cores as I was talking about.

The performance reviews also had nothing to do with my post. All of your links are far out of context and thus irrelevant because they have no impact on what I said.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:13:06 AM


verdenshersker said:
True I agree, but I just wanted to let him now that he will get good FPS with that build.
I use the Pentium G620 for BF3 and it's fine!

But yes, the i3 2120 is way better, I totally agree, but he has a budget as well!


How is the multiplayer framerate for the G620 in BF3? I heard that it was terrible compared to quad cores...
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:14:27 AM

lucidrainbow said:
How is the multiplayer framerate for the G620 in BF3? I heard that it was terrible compared to quad cores...


That's the key word there. How bad it is depends on the amount of players, the map, (maybe some more minor things that I'm forgetting), and your personal frame rate and stutter sensitivity. Some people might call it grat, yet others might call faster CPUs crap. Personally, I'd rather not play BF 3 MP at all or at most with very few players on such a CPU. Nothing short of an FX-6100 or Phenom II x6 1070T or an i5 would do it for me in BF3 MP except maybe with some serious overclocking.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:19:31 AM

Just wondering.. someone talked me out of getting a Core i3 - 2120 for a Phenom II x4 965 or a FX4170. Thanks :) 
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:21:35 AM

lucidrainbow said:
How is the multiplayer framerate for the G620 in BF3? I heard that it was terrible compared to quad cores...


Well for my current setup, I'm limited by my GFX (GT 240 - aint really good), but when I tried a HD6950, there was no problem what so ever in BF3 multiplayer with 32 people. Havent tried with 64...
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:24:14 AM

lucidrainbow said:
Just wondering.. someone talked me out of getting a Core i3 - 2120 for a Phenom II x4 965 or a FX4170. Thanks :) 


For BF3 MP, the Phenom II x4s are generally better than the i3s even at stock. I'd just like something more, either six cores from AMD on AM3/AM3+ or four from Intel on LGA 1155. Games are slowly but surely getting more well-threaded and BF3 is just one of the earliest very well-threaded games that not only supports many threads, but scales quite well with them.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 8:08:01 AM

aznshinobi said:
WITHOUT REFERRING TO ANY IGPs OR ANYTHING BECAUSE THIS BUILD IS $600...


The link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

On average the i3 2100 is 9% better than the 955. With that said, the i3 3220 improves on that, and the links that I posted show that the 5800K is bad with a discrete card in comparison to the i3 3220.

Also maybe you should keep in mind luciferano that the i3 3220 + B75 route gives the OP a route to upgrade towards the i5 3450/3570K. While the FM2 socket leaves the OP stuck with FM2 and AM3+ stuck with the terrible upgrade path that is to Bulldozer. I'll admit AMD isn't TERRIBLE, but in the long run, especially since Ivy Bridge can use PCI 3.0, Intel is better.

FM2 has no high end chips like the i5 3570K, while the AM3+ chips are just left in the dust in comparison. BD chips run terribly inefficient when compared after overclocking especially. Clock for clock, BD is pretty bad.


The a10-5800k is comparable to the i3 3220 and beats it in many tests. It also uses the new fm2 socket so allows for some future cpu upgrades while 1155 is done with the release of ivy bridge cpus. Haswell will be a whole new socket. Just about all tests i read up on the a10-5800k had it equal to or beating the 3220. And in the ones that say it is just below or equal to it if you look they are using lower clocked memory. The a10 scales up considerably with higher clocked ram.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 9:50:04 PM

luciferano said:
You took everything that I said out of context. I never said that Piledriver would be better as it is, I said that Steamroller and Excavator would be. That's because I already know most of the changes that will be made and how many of them affect performance as anyone who's keeping up on the subject should.

Well again, I stated that I'd hope Steamroller and Excavator would catch up to Ivy Bridge as they are 2-3 generations ahead of Ivy Bridge so that answers that. I'm just saying AMD will not catch up by Piledriver, also I'm not thinking that AMD will stick with AM3+ for Steamroller but we shall see.

luciferano said:
I said that with the second core of each module disabled, not with the whole chip enabled, so stop with that BS and pay attention if you want to argue about this. Furthermnore, I clearly also said that Ivy would edge out The FX-81xx CPUs when modded in the way that I mentioned. That test was total system draw, so it didn't account for PSU efficiency nor did it account for other components such as motherboards (which can affect power consumption more significantly than you might think) and again, it accounted for twice as many cores as I was talking about.

You said AMD chips can compete after an overclock, the link I posted argues that even after an overclock, most of the time Bulldozer cannot even compete after a high overclock of 4.8ghz So there's that. Bulldozer has terrible efficiency, everyone knows it.

The test setups:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...
The whole system was the same, ONLY THING CHANGED WAS THE MB AND CPU. Even if it is total system draw, how is it that with just a CPU and motherboard change, you can increase the total system load by about 300w? That makes no sense, the Ivy Bridge setup had the same GPU and everything. I give you 20w, which is what they stated is the difference in total power consumption, if they used an ATX board for the Ivy Bridge setup. But even then it consumes roughly about 250w more than the Ivy bridge setup.
m
0
l
!