How do I completely format my only local disk? Not just custom install

I'm well aware that you can boot from the CD and do a quick format during Windows 7 installation, but that's not what I need. I want wipe the disk in it's entirety before installing Windows.

I'm getting some weird messages about disk errors during start-up and the tech support guy at EVGA suggested that my last fresh install (done earlier today) didn't remove everything that was on the hard drive. I can't remember what he called it, but he said it could be less than a kb and cause the motherboard to try and boot from a partition that doesn't exist, giving me the errors.

Is there some kind of formatting utility I can burn to a disc and wipe my local disk with?
6 answers Last reply
More about completely format local disk custom install
  1. Depending on what brand of hard drive you have, you can go to their web site and download some form of disk tools. Among other things, these will include a disk wiper.
  2. If you want to just clean up everything and install a fresh copy of the OS, I would suggest Booting from the CD/DVD, and then in the installation of Windows , when you reach the HDD window, just delete all the partitions one by one and then create one partition for the OS to install itself on and leave the second partition for Data....
    That way, the whole HDD is wiped clean and the MBR is written again.
    Or
    You could boot into DOS and just fdisk the whole thing and create new partitions.
  3. I'm pretty sure there is an option in the windows setup to do a full format, which completely wipes everything.
  4. A complete wipe has nothing to do with formatting or repartitioning. Wiping involves overwriting all existing data with zeros which in effect kills the old data.

BTW, here is freeware program for this purpose. Note, it is very slow on larger disks. I usually let it run overnight and it is generally done when I get up. http://www.dban.org/
  5. Yeah, but a complete wipe is only necessary when Hide/Wipe/Delete Mission Critical data is required, or when you feel the drive is encountering Physical Bad sectors..... not for a windows reinstall....
    Partitioning, is effective enough as far as not interfering with later windows installs are concerned....
  6. alyoshka said:
    If you want to just clean up everything and install a fresh copy of the OS, I would suggest Booting from the CD/DVD, and then in the installation of Windows , when you reach the HDD window, just delete all the partitions one by one and then create one partition for the OS to install itself on and leave the second partition for Data....
    That way, the whole HDD is wiped clean and the MBR is written again.
    Or
    You could boot into DOS and just fdisk the whole thing and create new partitions.

Best options indeed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7