Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Odd temps in SLI with 2 gtx 580's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 17, 2012 6:18:53 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on a forum, so please take it easy on me :p . My problem is, that when I put both my cards in SLI, my primary card reaches 55c idle or so. The other card sits at about 37c. I know that the primary card can be a few degrees higher.. but that seems odd to me. I tested both cards in SLI, with "Heaven dx11 benchmark 3.0", uni-engines benching software, and with everything on max, and the primary card was around 75-76c, the other at around 73-74c. So under load, temps are normal, but under idle, ones hot, and ones cold. No big deal, its just annoying when I surf the interwebs to have the one fan at around 70%.

Also, i have the EVGA precision x program, and what it seems to me when I look at it is this. The primary card is still at 797MHz, while the other card has clocked itself down. Maybe thats the problem? Not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Martin.

More about : odd temps sli gtx 580

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 6:42:11 PM

IT could be a driver issue, i would uninstall the display driver and download and run driversweeper and run the nvidia driver cleaner then restart and reinstall the latest driver.
Share
a c 555 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 6:54:00 PM

xxmartyxx6991 said:
...
The primary card is still at 797MHz, while the other card has clocked itself down. Maybe thats the problem? ...
The primary card is not returning to its default clock speeds.

Click on the DEFAULT button in the EVGA PRECISIONX app to reset the master GPU to default settings after exiting a gaming session.

If the fan is spinning at 70% when you're only surfing the web then you should check to see if the fan speed is set to auto or that you didn't manually override the auto setting. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes for the fan to throttle down its speed if the CPU temperature is still high.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 7:03:50 PM

Is there enough spacing between your cards? This could make your primary card (the upper i suppose) a lot hotter. And are your cards the same model? Perhaps your secondary card has better cooling?
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:10:54 PM

Do you have 2 monitors hooked up? With 2 monitors, the primary card will use more power to drive both monitors. This is quite normal, if that is the case.
m
0
l
a c 555 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:19:05 PM

bystander said:
Do you have 2 monitors hooked up? With 2 monitors, the primary card will use more power to drive both monitors. This is quite normal, if that is the case.

Even with a single monitor the primary graphics card in the SLI set will always run at a slightly higher temperature when the system is idling since it always has a graphics load to process.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:29:56 PM

ko888 said:
Even with a single monitor the primary graphics card in the SLI set will always run at a slightly higher temperature when the system is idling since it always has a graphics load to process.


That may explain why I have a 1-2 degree higher primary card, but with 2 monitors, the primary card will usually run 10-15C hotter during idle. I know with AMD it's just the clocks don't drop as low, I'm not as sure with Nvidia what exactly happens, but their cards also will run 10-15C hotter with 2 monitors vs 1.
m
0
l
a c 555 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:44:02 PM

bystander said:
That may explain why I have a 1-2 degree higher primary card, but with 2 monitors, the primary card will usually run 10-15C hotter during idle. I know with AMD it's just the clocks don't drop as low, I'm not as sure with Nvidia what exactly happens, but their cards also will run 10-15C hotter with 2 monitors vs 1.

The OP is saying that the primary card is not reducing its clock speed and is always running at its full 797 MHz GPU clock speed. That's why the fan is still running at 70% and not reducing its speed.

Even when using two monitors and with the system at idle the primary card should not be running at its full clock speed. The GPU clock should have been throttled back down to a lower clock speed which will reduce the primary graphics card's GPU temperature.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 7:53:23 PM

ko888 said:
The OP is saying that the primary card is not reducing its clock speed and is always running at its full 797 MHz GPU clock speed. That's why the fan is still running at 70% and not reducing its speed.

Even when using two monitors and with the system at idle the primary card should not be running at its full clock speed. The GPU clock should have been throttled back down to a lower clock speed which will reduce the primary graphics card's GPU temperature.


Well, I'm not sure on Nvidia, but AMD's will run at full memory speed, and half core speed with 2 monitors (higher core than idle).

That said, I have noticed that in my system, there are apps that put my cards at full clock, even though you wouldn't expect it.

Windows Live Mail will put both my cards into full clocks when open. Flash videos when open, will up the clocks as well. There likely is more, but those are ones I've noticed. Hardware acceleration is probably the culprit.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 10:47:48 PM

mauller07 said:
IT could be a driver issue, i would uninstall the display driver and download and run driversweeper and run the nvidia driver cleaner then restart and reinstall the latest driver.


That solved it! I uninstalled the previous driver, and reinstalled it and did the update to the newest driver, and now both cards idle at 37c. Thanks for the quick response!
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 12:11:00 AM

ko888 said:
The primary card is not returning to its default clock speeds.

Click on the DEFAULT button in the EVGA PRECISIONX app to reset the master GPU to default settings after exiting a gaming session.

If the fan is spinning at 70% when you're only surfing the web then you should check to see if the fan speed is set to auto or that you didn't manually override the auto setting. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes for the fan to throttle down its speed if the CPU temperature is still high.



That I did try, sorry I should have mentioned that. The other cards fan speed fluctuates at 50-53% at 37c, and to get the primary card to that temp, I tried having the fan speed at 85%, but it still wouldnt get below 45c.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 12:11:10 AM

semperfidelis said:
Is there enough spacing between your cards? This could make your primary card (the upper i suppose) a lot hotter. And are your cards the same model? Perhaps your secondary card has better cooling?



I have the Cooler Master HAF full tower case, and with my AsRock z68 mobo I have about an inch, maybe more for spacing. Do you think thats sufficient?

Both cards are the EVGA brand, and the same model, same fan type.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 12:20:58 AM

Best answer selected by xxmartyxx6991.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 12:22:10 AM

Quote:
That is sufficient space. SLI will run hotter and the upper card will always run somewhat hotter as it sits above the other card which heats up the air going into it. Unless your temps are in the 90C range when driven hard I would not worry about it.



Alright thanks alot :) . I haven't seen my cards get into the 80c range yet, I may do more stress testing to see but I think thats about the ceiling with the air flow I have.
m
0
l
!