Novice's First Build

Swum

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi! As you can see, not only is this my first post, but this is also my first foray into the computer building world. Normally an Apple user, this whole culture seems daunting and confusing to me, but I am excited and willing to give it a shot. Note that the additional comments has a possible build I would like to receive feedback on.

Approximate Purchase Date: I am not sure, within a month or two, if ever.

Budget Range: From $500 to $850; Before and After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly gaming, web browsing, some storage, light web development

Are you buying a monitor: No, not if I can help it. I have an Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200).

Parts to Upgrade: The entire system.

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: See in additional comments.

Overclocking: Maybe - only if someone provides a link to a thorough, reassuring article.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I have done some examinations of possible parts on newegg.com . Of these, I discovered a combo special (Combo) that I would like to pair with the Radeon HD 7850 (Radeon HD 7850), bringing the total to $790.98. Would these be compatible and would the system preform well?
Also, I would hope that the builds people suggest aren't two difficult to make, as I am a complete novice and quite nervous about this entire endeavor.

Why Are You Upgrading: I want to experience the power of a great PC and play a lot of titles on higher settings (BF3, the Total War games, etc.).

I apologize for any issues with the post and thank you for your time.

TheShepherd

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jRkc

If you have a Microcenter near you I would recommend buying your motherboard and cpu from there. They are generally cheaper than anywhere else. If you do go to Microcenter, then get an i5 2500k instead of the 3570k as it's cheaper by $30 and the performance hit isn't that great. I put the build together with overclocking in mind.

Here's an article on how to overclock: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

This build should be able to run most modern games on high settings with no problems. I didn't include a mouse and keyboard in the build, and honestly peripherals are all preference. On that note, feel free to swap out the case with whatever you like. I just went with the CM Haf 912 because it's a solid case.

Horney

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

For overclocking a better PSU may be necessary and a HD7950 would be better bang for buck even though it's more expensive.

TheShepherd

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

That combo would put him at around $950. That's over his budget, and the case is Raidmax. I would recommend Cooler Master, Antec, Corsair, NZXT, Silverstone, and some others over Raidmax.

Horney

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

I was aiming for ease of build rather than saving money, it also comes with a keyboard and mouse which will be good for gaming, over-budget but still a great deal

TheShepherd

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

You're right, but the OP has a monitor that is 1920x1080, and hasn't indicated that he will be running multiple monitors. For that scenario I think the HD7870 will be fine. However, if he is going to overclock his video card as well, then the HD7950 is definitely the way to go.

No doubt that the combo would be a nice rig and easier to assemble for a newbie.

Swum

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

I may go with this suggestion, using this HD7950. I like the idea of not building the PC from scratch, but have a couple questions.
1) Will the case last for multiple builds, and how good is the case easy for a beginner?
2) Is replacing the graphics card that came with the CyberPower straightforward? Is there a tutorial available?
3) Would this build be compatible with an Apple Cinema Display? It uses mini display ports, so how do I connect the monitor to the system?
4) I use WiFi in my house. How can I connect to the internet with this computer? (I do have a USB WiFi conversion thing hanging around, I can give more info about it if required.)
Thanks!

TheShepherd

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

1. The case is one of the parts from any build that can be used over and over. As for a case being "easy", most cases have similar build structure on the inside. Some offer better noise reduction, cooling, or cable management. I haven't heard much about this particular case (AZZA Orion). Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

2. Honestly, you can find tutorials on how to build the entire pc online. As for your question, yes replacing the video card is "straightforward". Just youtube it. You should find some helpful videos on how to swap out the card.

3. I don't believe the pc has a mini display port. You may be able to find mini display to hdmi or dvi conversion cables, but that's not something I'm familiar with.

4. If you aren't going to connect it to your router/modem with an ethernet cable, then you can use the USB wifi device. Or you can get a wireless network card.

Edit: I want to add that the prebuilt computer you are considering has the AMD FX-4100 which is not the greatest cpu. If you're going to be spending $850 for a gaming rig, there's no reason that you should have such a subpar processor.

Swum

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Thank you guys! I am excited to (eventually) buy this PC, and I appreciate the prompt replies. Thanks for making me feel better about this whole process.