Sign in with
Your question

EVGA 650w SuperNova NEX sli question

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2013 6:44:36 PM

Hello, I was wondering if the EVGA 650w SuperNova( http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-evga-supernova-nex-... ) will run sli easily. At the moment I have a corsair tx850w psu and run sli 660ti, but want to switch to modular as my case is quite small(mid-tower). For £5 more I can get the same PSU in 750w so I want to know if I should just go with that.

Also as a sidenote does anyone know why this is so cheap. It is an 80+ Gold PSU and by far the cheapest modular gold psu.

Many thanks

Additional Spec info:

i7-3770k
P8Z77-V
8gb Mushkin 1600mhz ram
OCZ Vertex 4 256gb
Corsair H80i
a c 1108 ) Power supply
February 22, 2013 8:25:40 PM

For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G (120-PG-0650-GR), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with one 6-pin and four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode. There is plenty of spare capacity on the +12V rail(s) to handle any overclocking.

It suffers from loose voltage regulation and doesn't handle crossloading very well just like the FSP Aurum platform that it's based on, since FSP is the OEM for this EVGA model.

EVGA currently has a promotion going on until the end of February and that's one of the models in the promotion.
February 22, 2013 10:17:46 PM

Best answer selected by JimmyFixedMe.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 22, 2013 10:18:29 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G (120-PG-0650-GR), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with one 6-pin and four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode. There is plenty of spare capacity on the +12V rail(s) to handle any overclocking.

It suffers from loose voltage regulation and doesn't handle crossloading very well just like the FSP Aurum platform that it's based on, since FSP is the OEM for this EVGA model.

EVGA currently has a promotion going on until the end of February and that's one of the models in the promotion.

thanks for the detailed explanation i didnt understand any of that before!
February 23, 2013 1:29:40 PM

ko888 said:

Would you say the loose voltage regulation+the crossloading is a reason to go with a corsair modular psu?

Also are you talking about the 10 year warranty as the promotion?
a c 1108 ) Power supply
February 23, 2013 4:58:24 PM

Q Would you say the loose voltage regulation+the crossloading is a reason to go with a corsair modular psu?

A If you're considereing a model from the Corsair HX, AX or AXi Series then definitely yes.

Q Also are you talking about the 10 year warranty as the promotion?

A The EVGA Nex-1500W Classified is the only model with the 10 year limited warranty with registration within 30 days of purchase. This model uses a different OEM, Etasis, and suffers from its own problems. I wouldn't recommend this model to anyone either.
!