Stock Q6600 bottleneck question. Please help!!

kevinc_48

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
So i am trying to purchase a HD 6770 for my stock q6600. I am just wondering if this combo would create bottlenecking. Thank you for your help.

kevinc_48

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Thanks for the response. I dont plan on overclocking and think that itll bottleneck if i use the 7750. Keep in mind i have a 24 inch monitor and plan on using 1920 x 1080

I do not think you truly understand what bottlenecking means.

Let me make it a bit clearer. You could get an HD7970 if you wish and if the game you are playing is not CPU intensive you will barely see a bottleneck. But lets say you are playing BF3(multiplayer) then even with an HD7770 you would see a bottleneck.

A 2.4GHZ quad like yours will handle any single card as long as the game is not to CPU intensive.

And are you planning to game at 1920*1080 with the HD6770?

If you are, you will struggle in any newer titles. For HD resolution I would suggest at least an HD7850 or up. Even if you have a older quad core.

kevinc_48

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah youre 100% right. I do not have a clear understanding of what bottlenecking is. And I do plan on playing BF3 unfortunately.. lol. Maybe I will just lower resolution? idk what i should do lol should i buy a 7770? what do u recommend? totally lost here... sorry if i sound stupid

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't sound stupid. You sound like someone with the intelligence to ask questions about something they are not familiar with. At 1920x1080, the HD 6770 will require you to back way off on the settings to maintain a smooth frame rate. The HD 7770 would be a better choice, but still not able to maintain smooth frame rates at 1080p with settings maxed out in demanding games. The HD 7850 would be a better choice if smooth frame rates at max/near max settings is important to you.

The equivalent of the 7850 in the Nvidia line up would be the GTX 660.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

+1. Agree to all that he said. LOL

You really need to try and save up some more cash for a HD7850 or GTX660. I can not suggest any lower for HD resolution.

Not at all. I still own an old Q6600 and coupled with my HD7950 there are VERY few games that I find are bottlenecked. Among them are the 2 I mentioned.

Not even BF3 MP is that badly bottlenecked as it is more sensitive to number of cores as apposed to individual core speed like Skyrim.
Now with Skyrim I experienced some very noticable bottlenecking with the Q6600 and HD7950. Even when I OCd the Q6600 to 3GHz it was annoying. The reason for this is that Skyrim is very badly optimized for multiple cores, so its very dependent on one singular fast core.

Now there are very few CPU intensive games that are like Skyrim and are badly multiple core optimized. So you really have no reason to assume that bottlenecking will be a given instead of an exception.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The small amount of bottleneck (on average) in CPU intensive games with a Q6600 C2Q and the HD 7850, if at all, would not be a deal breaker IMO. And the OP will have a good card for upgrading in the future. Granted, the HD 7770 would be more balanced for the Q6600. But it wouldn't perform as well at 1080p.

+1... :D Excepting the highlighted part...

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Games are procedural. Something like this:

1. Get Input
2. Translate Input To Values
3. Calculate Physics
4. Render

Other than the rendering all the other stuff do be done in a order so you need only 1 thread.

I agree but NEED is the key word there... And the fact that you are not explaining how this constitutes an automatic bottleneck in OPs case?

Why?
Don't just make a statement. Discuss it, explain it to us or prove it with articles and links.

Otherwise you just seem foolish... :heink:

We do not agree with you, so attempt to persuade us.

TRENDING THREADS