First gaming build 1st revision.

I want to use this build for headroom for the future. (i.e. could add 8 gb more RAM also a second 670 if I please also could add better storage in the future such as SSD's) Mind the off brands such as the Rosewill and Biostar, i have heard on multiple reviews that they are quality parts that last a long time despite there relatively cheap suspicious-ness. Seems to be a great build that i'm going to be getting very soon. Also my first solo build for gaming. I already own a copy of Windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81605106/Computer%20build.png

Please give me advice that pertains to better future-proofing!

Solution
future proofing is impossible.

as for your build

-a 1000 dollar build is dumb without a ssd
-i personally dont bother with biostar. if they cannot figure out proper layouts for their IO (the usb3 location is just pathetic. wont let you add another graphics card without looking stupid), they are not going to be great at making motherboards
-a 120hz monitor isnt needed. id rather get a IPS which has much better image quality over much faster response times
-overspending on case
-high speed memory is useles

get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jS68
future proofing is impossible.

as for your build

-a 1000 dollar build is dumb without a ssd
-i personally dont bother with biostar. if they cannot figure out proper layouts for their IO (the usb3 location is just pathetic. wont let you add another graphics card without looking stupid), they are not going to be great at making motherboards
-a 120hz monitor isnt needed. id rather get a IPS which has much better image quality over much faster response times
-overspending on case
-high speed memory is useles

get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jS68

Solution
I read an article saying that that RAM specifically at that speed incurs a 5-10% increase in fps for gaming http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ivy-bridge-ddr3_4.html. Biostars layout isn't bad if you have longer cables also I don't care how the MOBOs' looks in sli all I care about is performance on a budget. I was wondering about the IPS though thank you for the clarity. Also I don't want SSD right now. The reasoning behind the case is that in the future with sli im going to need the better airflow and the fan speed knob is what I was looking for so I could better regulate airflow.

1: im sure its worth voiding your intel warranty and degrading your memory controller is worth the little increase in fps
2:your usb3 cable will have to overlap your video card. it will block airflow and usb3 cables arent very flexible.
3:well if you get a SSD in the future, you will have to reinstall windows, reformat the hard drive,reinstall all the drivers and games and reactivate windows from microsoft. too much of a hassle. on the other hand, adding a hard drive only requires plugging in the drive and activating it from windows. takes 1 min
4:yeah. a fractal define r4 has great airflow and the fan speed knob is pretty useless. corsair stock case fans push no air and if you are talking about the 200mm fans, they are just plain loud. also, the fractal define r4 has a fan controller for the 3 fans included. already very quiet so i dont bother. the define r4 is a silent case

not to mention the R4 is cheaper

TheShepherd

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Why not recommend the 7970 over the 670? Even an OC'd 7950 can outperform the 670.

1. I was not aware of the RAM speed degrading the mem controller nor did i know it voided Intel's warranty.
2. Hmmmm.... how about this MOBO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130644&Tpk=Z77A-GD55
3. Good point but I don't want to be forced getting the SSD first then the HDD but if that's your suggestion okay. How would I go about "activating it from windows"?
4. I was going to replace all those stock fans on the case with better aftermarket ones and the knob is worth its weight in gold if u ask me although I see your point in the price difference but I already have built a computer in that case so I understand the layout like the back of my hand (meaning its more practical for me so I don't care about the 70 extra bucks.

1: you are better off with the motherboard i suggested.
2: id rather get a good case with good stock fans. and the fact that the define r4 is pretty much the easiest case most people have yet to work with. id rather save that 70 bucks on a better motherboard such as the asus z77-v pro or the LK. the LK and the pro are similar in the sense they provide the same user experience just that the PRO has more IO, better stuff in the box, and a bit more software

Just to be clear that the case you suggested to me is without a doubt better airflow stock then 600t?

TheShepherd

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that an OC'd 7950 can equal or beat an OC'd 670. Doesn't the 7950 have much higher headroom for overclocking since the reference clock rates are lower? Plus I thought Nvidia locked voltage rates so you can't overclock them as much.

airflow would be around the same. just that the 600t has more potential by adding better 200mm fans and 140mms. but being a lot louder. the fractal comes with 140s default

the 670 has a boost clock (a 7950 with a bios upgrade does too but is limited to 50mhz boost) that is always higher than 50mhz. and that the 670 runs with less power.

overvolting can be done with a msi gtx 670 power edition. just dont go crazy since it will fry the card like any other GPU. and also there are bios mods that let you get 1.2v which is more than enough volts for most overclocks.

I'm pretty sure that larger fans are more silent considering they don't have to move as fast (RPM) to move as much air?

yes but no. corsair makes crappy 200mm fans from what i experienced on my friends brother's 650D. its pretty loud.

there are good ones like the bitfenix spectre pros but then the R4 already comes with decent fans (not the best but definitly better than corsair), saving you a bit of money

So for the sake of simplicity I think I am going to get the 600t and upgrade the fans for a total of 50 dollars more in total. Because if what I had previously said is true not only is the 600t have a possibility of having more air flow but at the same time could be quieter. Correct me if I am wrong.