idandan

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hi guys! Recently I ordered a PC and I'm waiting for it to be built. During the duration of my wait, I was thinking about the VGA cable that I would need. Before that I have to ask, what does the VGA cable connect to inside a PC? The mobo or the gpu? I ordered a Sapphire radeon 6850 if that helps. Anyway, I also wanted to ask, why is there a female and male VGA cable? Wouldn't it be better with just one side?

Thanks!

Solution
the silver shield thats given to youby your motherboard manufacturer(as each motherboard has a different layout) that is supposed to be installed in a rectagular shaped section of the back of the case.

heres an example:

http://www.pecos-softwareworks.com/pics/foxconn_975x7ab-8ekrs2h/case_io_shield.jpg

the rectangular plate that is installed on the center left is the I/O shield for that motherboard. The one in the center is a detached version of a different motherboards I/O shield. As you can see, the slots arent the same, which is what i mean by different motherboards have different I/O shields.

On the same picture, at the bottom, you see a VGA and DVI port on the thin rectangular areas, thats the PCI backplate, and that's where the...

idandan

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Ah okay thank you^^ I can't use a dvi cable because my monitor doesn't have a dvi slot XD btw, how do integrated graphics work then? Do you connect to the motherboard for onboard?

IGPU uses the motherboards dvi/hdmi slot yes. depending on yoru card, you should get a dvi to vga convertor for free(my sapphire 7850 did)

idandan

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Oh wow really? That would be awesome if I got one. So as long as I connect the dvi to my gpu its fine right? Now the problem is how will I know what's the mobo and whats the gpu? Or do mobos not have dvi?

idandan

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Also, how would i know I plugged it into the gpu?
I have a gigabyte b75m btw (ncix sales ftw). Does that have a dvi slot? If it doesn't, it would make the operation foolproof.

if you have a dedicated gpu, its almost impossible to miss which port is the gpu, I mean you have to install it o_O just install the cord onto whatever port you are using on the GPU backplate, because the GPU backplate isnt part of the motherboards I/O shield.

the silver shield thats given to youby your motherboard manufacturer(as each motherboard has a different layout) that is supposed to be installed in a rectagular shaped section of the back of the case.

heres an example:

http://www.pecos-softwareworks.com/pics/foxconn_975x7ab-8ekrs2h/case_io_shield.jpg

the rectangular plate that is installed on the center left is the I/O shield for that motherboard. The one in the center is a detached version of a different motherboards I/O shield. As you can see, the slots arent the same, which is what i mean by different motherboards have different I/O shields.

On the same picture, at the bottom, you see a VGA and DVI port on the thin rectangular areas, thats the PCI backplate, and that's where the GPU will be.

Solution