Sign in with
Your question
Solved

VGA cable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2012 9:59:41 PM

Hi guys! Recently I ordered a PC and I'm waiting for it to be built. During the duration of my wait, I was thinking about the VGA cable that I would need. Before that I have to ask, what does the VGA cable connect to inside a PC? The mobo or the gpu? I ordered a Sapphire radeon 6850 if that helps. Anyway, I also wanted to ask, why is there a female and male VGA cable? Wouldn't it be better with just one side?

Thanks!

More about : vga cable

a c 291 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 10:25:46 PM

First of all, VGA cable has two male end. Secondly, you'll want to connect the cable to the monitor to graphics card and NOT motherboard. Thirdly, HD 6850 does not have VGA slot, so if you want to use VGA cable, you'll need to get a DVI to VGA adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lastly, why don't you use DVI cable? It has higher quality video than VGA cable.
m
l
August 17, 2012 10:37:20 PM

Sunius said:
First of all, VGA cable has two male end. Secondly, you'll want to connect the cable to the monitor to graphics card and NOT motherboard. Thirdly, HD 6850 does not have VGA slot, so if you want to use VGA cable, you'll need to get a DVI to VGA adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lastly, why don't you use DVI cable? It has higher quality video than VGA cable.

Ah okay thank you^^ I can't use a dvi cable because my monitor doesn't have a dvi slot XD btw, how do integrated graphics work then? Do you connect to the motherboard for onboard?
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 10:45:45 PM

idandan said:
Ah okay thank you^^ I can't use a dvi cable because my monitor doesn't have a dvi slot XD btw, how do integrated graphics work then? Do you connect to the motherboard for onboard?

IGPU uses the motherboards dvi/hdmi slot yes. depending on yoru card, you should get a dvi to vga convertor for free(my sapphire 7850 did)
m
l
August 17, 2012 10:53:37 PM

Oh wow really? That would be awesome if I got one. So as long as I connect the dvi to my gpu its fine right? Now the problem is how will I know what's the mobo and whats the gpu? Or do mobos not have dvi?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 10:57:16 PM

different mobos will have different ports on them. the gpu will be on the PCI backplate and the Mobos will be on the I/O shield
m
l
August 17, 2012 11:17:25 PM

So if i plugged it into my mobo i would get the igpu right?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 11:18:09 PM

idandan said:
So if i plugged it into my mobo i would get the igpu right?

that would be correct
m
l
August 17, 2012 11:38:23 PM

Also, how would i know I plugged it into the gpu?
I have a gigabyte b75m btw (ncix sales ftw). Does that have a dvi slot? If it doesn't, it would make the operation foolproof.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 11:40:57 PM

idandan said:
Also, how would i know I plugged it into the gpu?
I have a gigabyte b75m btw (ncix sales ftw). Does that have a dvi slot? If it doesn't, it would make the operation foolproof.

if you have a dedicated gpu, its almost impossible to miss which port is the gpu, I mean you have to install it O_o just install the cord onto whatever port you are using on the GPU backplate, because the GPU backplate isnt part of the motherboards I/O shield.
m
l
August 17, 2012 11:55:29 PM

Sorry but... What is the io shield? 030
m
l

Best solution

a c 106 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 12:11:41 AM

the silver shield thats given to youby your motherboard manufacturer(as each motherboard has a different layout) that is supposed to be installed in a rectagular shaped section of the back of the case.

heres an example:

http://www.pecos-softwareworks.com/pics/foxconn_975x7ab...

the rectangular plate that is installed on the center left is the I/O shield for that motherboard. The one in the center is a detached version of a different motherboards I/O shield. As you can see, the slots arent the same, which is what i mean by different motherboards have different I/O shields.

On the same picture, at the bottom, you see a VGA and DVI port on the thin rectangular areas, thats the PCI backplate, and that's where the GPU will be.
August 18, 2012 12:22:23 AM

Best answer selected by Idandan.
m
l
August 18, 2012 12:23:54 AM

Thanks! Best answer!
m
l
!