Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dc5850m with triple core phenom

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • Phenom
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 17, 2012 10:00:53 PM

Hello, i want to upgrade my video card for second life virtual world.. would like hdmi out prefer nividia cards willing to upgrade power supply what card can i use... 1) full-height PCI slot, (2) full-height PCIe x1 slots, (1) full-height PCIe x16 slot

More about : dc5850m triple core phenom

a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 10:12:29 PM

jamesmcm said:
Hello, i want to upgrade my video card for second life virtual world.. would like hdmi out prefer nividia cards willing to upgrade power supply what card can i use... 1) full-height PCI slot, (2) full-height PCIe x1 slots, (1) full-height PCIe x16 slot


Full Height PCIe x16 slot. That's the slot you want to use. But it is not like you have a choice, just about every video card on the market these days goes into a full x16 PCie slot.

Depends on the games you are playing, I can recommend a video card, Nv or AMD.
m
0
l
August 17, 2012 10:29:28 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Full Height PCIe x16 slot. That's the slot you want to use. But it is not like you have a choice, just about every video card on the market these days goes into a full x16 PCie slot.

Depends on the games you are playing, I can recommend a video card, Nv or AMD.


the recommended cards for 2nd life are "NVIDIA Graphics cards
9000 Series:
9600, 9800
200 Series:
275 GTX, 295 GTX
ATI Graphics Cards
4000 Series:
4850, 4870, 4890
5000 Series:
5850, 5870, 5970"

the minimum ones are "NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better
OR ATI Radeon 9500 or better
OR Intel 945 chipset
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2012 11:27:55 PM

jamesmcm said:
the recommended cards for 2nd life are "NVIDIA Graphics cards
9000 Series:
9600, 9800
200 Series:
275 GTX, 295 GTX
ATI Graphics Cards
4000 Series:
4850, 4870, 4890
5000 Series:
5850, 5870, 5970"

the minimum ones are "NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better
OR ATI Radeon 9500 or better
OR Intel 945 chipset


Your choices are plenty, it doesn't seem like the game requires a lot of power.

Try a HD 7750, HD 7770 from AMD or Nvidia 550, 560, 560Ti. The 560Ti may require you to get a new PSU. Any more than this may be a bit of a waste.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 12:15:31 AM

jamesmcm said:
hi again.. been reading the forums .. did a keyword "second life"
would this card work in the system i have... what watt power supply would i need.... how much ram... running vista 64 bit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


You need about a 400 watt power supply for that card.

BUT, that card is really really really really old. It is at LEAST 4 generations old, 5 if you count the rebranding (8800 got rebranded into 9800), and doesn't support the newest DirectX. It is also not a good investment, a 550Ti or (preferably) a 7750 is a much better card for modern duties.

Any of these is much better, and may not require a PSU upgrade (if your existing one is 250 watts and up).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Share
August 18, 2012 4:45:13 PM

hi all...
i been reading and reading... lol
thinking of ordering XFX FX-775A-ZNP4 Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card.....
any thoughts appreciated... and thankyou all who responded...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:45:51 PM

jamesmcm said:
hi all...
i been reading and reading... lol
thinking of ordering XFX FX-775A-ZNP4 Radeon HD 7750 Core Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card.....
any thoughts appreciated... and thankyou all who responded...


That's a fine card. Why not the the Black Edition, that one has life time warranty. The Core edition only has a 2 year warranty (3 years being the average).

m
0
l
August 19, 2012 4:14:43 PM

XFX Double D Black Edition FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
this is the card referenced in my last post... and it does need a psu upgrade... studying the details section it says minimum of a 450 watt and a 6 pin connector... so the psu wizard is somewhat misleading... found a upgrade psu built by xfx that would do the trick for just over 50 dollars....any thoughts on the worth of going to a larger power supply?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2012 4:29:14 PM

jamesmcm said:
XFX Double D Black Edition FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
this is the card referenced in my last post... and it does need a psu upgrade... studying the details section it says minimum of a 450 watt and a 6 pin connector... so the psu wizard is somewhat misleading... found a upgrade psu built by xfx that would do the trick for just over 50 dollars....any thoughts on the worth of going to a larger power supply?


Well, no problems if you are going to use the extra power. BUT, to be absolutely sure, make sure your power supply is an ATX format power supply, not a Small Form Factor, or other form factors. Look at the back of your PSU (back of the computer) and study the mounting hold patterns, and compare this to the mounting hold patterns of the XFX you want to purchase, make sure they look the same. SFF or smaller has typically symmetrical mounting screw locations, while ATX has 2 in the corners, 1 offset from a corner, and one not at a corner going into the PSU by about half a centimeter or less.

You can also post a pic here of your PSU from the back of the computer, and I'll take a look.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 11:38:49 AM

Best answer selected by jamesmcm.
m
0
l
!