SB X-Fi or Asus Xonar DGX 5.1

TiCus80

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hi. I`ve spend last few hours to find out more about sound cards. I feel like confused.com because there is a lot of information and when i find (what i think is) answer, then i go back to the very beginning after reading next thread. So guys i hope Yo can help me.
I have mobo P7P55D-E PRO which has VIA® VT1828S 8-Channel High Definition Audio
I bought Roccat Kave (true 5.1 - USB for powering + 4x Jack) headphones and i`m using it with my integrated "card".
Sound isn`t bad, but i want better sound. I`m not an audiophile, I like to listen music, but mostly I play games. Quality of game sound matters to me.
There is a lot of guys telling that Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 is a grate card to buy. I`m wondering what card to buy:

1. Creative Soundblaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIe
2. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
3. Asus Xonar DGX 5.1

I`m going to play on headphones like 99% of that time and maybe occasionally use optical when playing on LED TV using my 5.1 home cinema.
So please guys help me out cos i`m lost in all this threads and i`m confused.

THX so much for Your help

ARICH5

Distinguished
what did you pay for the headphones? in looking at the specs for those headphones id say theyre not the best....20-20,000hz......seinheisers get down to 15- 30,000.

that being said id doubt youd notice a huge difference in sound with a soundcard.

but if you must, get the asus card. creative win7 drivers are terrible.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
The xonar dgx is great for your headphones, but it doesn't support either dolby digital live or dts-connect encoders that are required for mixing game audio into 5.1 over an optical connection (movies should work fine however).

I've heard the only difference between the various chips used in Xonars is what encoding they support, they effectively act as a hardware dongle for software encoders.

Creative labs drivers have been fine since about 2008 (when they became sponsors of openAL). The big issue with them is that they no longer make the x-fi card, so they're likely to drop support for it soon.

If you need to play games in 5.1 over your home cinema, get a xonar dsx otherwise go with a dgx.

Personally, I prefer the x-fi titanium (I have one and a dsx), but it is more expensive.

TiCus80

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I`m playing 99.99% of time using my headphones. I used to have Logitech G35 (they were good) but i got myself Roccat Kave (5.1 true not emulated - 1x USB for power and 4 mini jacks) and i can hear improvement.
So I`ve foind something like Asustek Xonar DX/XD PCI-E. I tried to read specs and opinions, but maybe someone here can say if there is a difference (exc price :p) between Asustek Xonar DX/XD PCI-E and Asus DGX which we are talking about.

TiCus80

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I found also that Asus Xonar DSX sounds better than DGX.
So now i stuck between those 3 cards.
1. Asus Xonar DGX
2. Asus Xonar DSX
3. Asus Xonar DX/XD

TiCus80

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks everyone. I`ve decided to get DGX. Its not expensive card so i wont lose much but can have better sound quality comparing to onboard sound