Sign in with
Your question

Intel core i7 3820 overheating ?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
February 22, 2013 10:21:50 PM

alright so i just made my own computer and i have a fairly good set up i believe, i have no troubles with it other than that it will over heat and i cant figure out why, i had just finished emailing a support person at cyberpower and i said that my CPU has been going up too 123 degrees c, the lowest it dips down to is 60 c, i believe it only goes that low now because i put arctic thermal paste on it this morning, the support guy said that my temperature is normal ? it doesnt seem right..he also had told me that it could be my GPU for some reason and is telling me that i should install 3D mark which i am now and that i should look for screen tearing and some other things.

someone please help ?
a c 152 à CPUs
February 22, 2013 10:56:01 PM

Anonymous said:
alright so i just made my own computer and i have a fairly good set up i believe, i have no troubles with it other than that it will over heat and i cant figure out why, i had just finished emailing a support person at cyberpower and i said that my CPU has been going up too 123 degrees c, the lowest it dips down to is 60 c, i believe it only goes that low now because i put arctic thermal paste on it this morning, the support guy said that my temperature is normal ? it doesnt seem right..he also had told me that it could be my GPU for some reason and is telling me that i should install 3D mark which i am now and that i should look for screen tearing and some other things.

someone please help ?

I really doubt that it is hitting 123 degrees celcius. If it was really getting that hot it would have shut down long before that or literally burned itself out. What are you using to monitor the temps?
Anonymous
February 22, 2013 11:03:00 PM

rds1220 said:
I really doubt that it is hitting 123 degrees celcius. If it was really getting that hot it would have shut down long before that or literally burned itself out. What are you using to monitor the temps?

i know thats what im thinking, i was using (if i remember correctly) speedfan, then the support guy told me to install HWmonitor, and both of those recorded the high temps, im now using real temp and im getting up to 40 degrees now which seems legitimate, i have had it overheat three times in the past week though, this was before i applied the new thermal paste and started using the monitors, but it overheated with skyrim and my computer put the settings on ultra high for it and it just didnt like it, then it did the same thing with borderlands 2 but it hasnt overheated since last night and i ran it on ultra high this morning
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 190 à CPUs
February 22, 2013 11:22:01 PM

Anonymous said:
i know thats what im thinking, i was using (if i remember correctly) speedfan, then the support guy told me to install HWmonitor, and both of those recorded the high temps, im now using real temp and im getting up to 40 degrees now which seems legitimate, i have had it overheat three times in the past week though, this was before i applied the new thermal paste and started using the monitors, but it overheated with skyrim and my computer put the settings on ultra high for it and it just didnt like it, then it did the same thing with borderlands 2 but it hasnt overheated since last night and i ran it on ultra high this morning

Speedfan is worthless.

Use HWInfo64
Anonymous
February 26, 2013 4:56:33 AM

i found out the issue, it wasnt actually my cpu overheating, apparently it was my pcie slot that my gpu was in, im not sure whats wrong with the pcie, but i contacted cyberpower support again and was asked to plug my gpu into the other pcie and well, it works now, and its fantastic, i really do appreciate the help you guys gave though, thank you!
February 28, 2013 11:06:01 AM

Anonymous said:
i found out the issue, it wasnt actually my cpu overheating, apparently it was my pcie slot that my gpu was in, im not sure whats wrong with the pcie, but i contacted cyberpower support again and was asked to plug my gpu into the other pcie and well, it works now, and its fantastic, i really do appreciate the help you guys gave though, thank you!

what did you do to get that? i have the same problem. I am using p9x79 pro mb and the gpu at the last pcie slot
Anonymous
March 1, 2013 5:33:23 PM

thething485 said:
what did you do to get that? i have the same problem. I am using p9x79 pro mb and the gpu at the last pcie slot

are you asking how i found out that it was my pcie slot? honestly i would never have thought of it, the support had told me to switch my gpu to the bottom slot, and if you're asking about how i found out that my gpu was overheating, i had my case open while i was running skyrim and when my monitor went black the fan on my gpu went crazy
Anonymous
March 1, 2013 5:33:30 PM

thething485 said:

are you asking how i found out that it was my pcie slot? honestly i would never have thought of it, the support had told me to switch my gpu to the bottom slot, and if you're asking about how i found out that my gpu was overheating, i had my case open while i was running skyrim and when my monitor went black the fan on my gpu went crazy
March 2, 2013 3:18:34 AM

Anonymous said:

i also did the same thing but it still goes up to 93 celsius while playing farcry 3. but in other games it stays at 75 celsius max like skyrim and la noire
Anonymous
March 2, 2013 3:26:39 AM

thething485 said:
i also did the same thing but it still goes up to 93 celsius while playing farcry 3. but in other games it stays at 75 celsius max like skyrim and la noire

i think theres something wrong with my gpu -.- it did the same thing with the black screen and fan going nuts yesterday, i tried running tf2 a few hours ago and it crashed so im lost on what to do now, ive emailed AMD about the issue and also sent cyberpower another email hoping that ill get this fixed..i believe my cpu goes up to about 90 at the highest, im still not certain though, ive honestly run out of ideas on why this is happening and what to do about it. if i get this fixed though ill make sure to let you know
!