Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help on building a $700-900 gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 10, 2012 2:39:42 AM

Hello, I am looking to possibly build my own gaming pc for just under the 1000 dollar mark, but I am completely new to the idea of building a PC. I'm looking to build a computer that will be able to play games like Skyrim, battlefield 3, planetside 2 at the 1980x1080 resolution mark, ideally around med-high settings at a smooth 60fps.
I'm in Canada, and I know newegg is supposed to be good. I just need a bit of help selecting parts to use, as I have no idea how to go about selecting a motherboard // cpu // gpu that will all work together. I've looked for videos and guides, but they all seem to be geared to showing you how to build a specific build, rather then picking out parts that will work together.
Any help is appreciated, thanks! [=
October 10, 2012 3:39:00 AM

To build a gaming pc, first you select the resolution of your monitor. Then you decide what graphics settings you want. I see you've already got those things. For your requirements, I would recommend the radeon 6870. Different brands change prices over time, so the cheapest one after rebate will be fine.

Here's one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Next you want to select the cpu. The question is, are you going to do anything cpu intensive? Cpu intensive tasks include streaming video, or doing video encoding. I will give you advice assuming you are not, but if you are, then I can suggest alternatives. For your cpu, an i5-3300 is probably the most that you will need.

Here's the cpu:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Here's the motherboard:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Next is all the other junk. For psu, anything between 400W-500W will be good. Good brands include Antec, Corsair, and Seasonic.

Here's a fitting psu:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

For the case, I personally recommend:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I've been using that case for a long time and I love it to death. It's very sturdy, has great airflow, and has great cable management.

For RAM, you only need really need 4gb, but since you can get 8gb quite inexpensively now, why not?

Here's the ones I use, and I like them:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Optical drive, you can just go for like a cheap $17 one. Hard drive, whatever you choose will be okay. Anything between 500gb and 2tb are quite economical.

If somebody else could look it over and verify everything is fine, that would be great.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 3:46:23 AM

kraahkan said:
Hello, I am looking to possibly build my own gaming pc for just under the 1000 dollar mark, but I am completely new to the idea of building a PC. I'm looking to build a computer that will be able to play games like Skyrim, battlefield 3, planetside 2 at the 1980x1080 resolution mark, ideally around med-high settings at a smooth 60fps.
I'm in Canada, and I know newegg is supposed to be good. I just need a bit of help selecting parts to use, as I have no idea how to go about selecting a motherboard // cpu // gpu that will all work together. I've looked for videos and guides, but they all seem to be geared to showing you how to build a specific build, rather then picking out parts that will work together.
Any help is appreciated, thanks! [=


You could possibly run games on ultra in 1080p with 60 FPS...

Get an i5-3570k and a 7970 GHz.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 10, 2012 4:51:05 AM

Chairman Ray said:
To build a gaming pc, first you select the resolution of your monitor. Then you decide what graphics settings you want. I see you've already got those things. For your requirements, I would recommend the radeon 6870. Different brands change prices over time, so the cheapest one after rebate will be fine.

Here's one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Next you want to select the cpu. The question is, are you going to do anything cpu intensive? Cpu intensive tasks include streaming video, or doing video encoding. I will give you advice assuming you are not, but if you are, then I can suggest alternatives. For your cpu, an i5-3300 is probably the most that you will need.

Here's the cpu:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Here's the motherboard:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Next is all the other junk. For psu, anything between 400W-500W will be good. Good brands include Antec, Corsair, and Seasonic.

Here's a fitting psu:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

For the case, I personally recommend:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I've been using that case for a long time and I love it to death. It's very sturdy, has great airflow, and has great cable management.

For RAM, you only need really need 4gb, but since you can get 8gb quite inexpensively now, why not?

Here's the ones I use, and I like them:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Optical drive, you can just go for like a cheap $17 one. Hard drive, whatever you choose will be okay. Anything between 500gb and 2tb are quite economical.

If somebody else could look it over and verify everything is fine, that would be great.



For the cpu I wouldn't be streaming video or anything no, but I should be doing at least a bit of music production: though nothing professional by any means. From my very basic knowledge of cpu's, the i5 processor you picked out should be fine yes?

I picked this hardrive out;
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
Should be good yes?


m
0
l
October 10, 2012 5:05:53 AM

I would go for a hard drive that's 7200 RPM. It will shave a second every time there's a loading screen in a game.

The i5 i picked out is on the lower end of Intel quad core processors, but it's more than enough for games.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2012 7:55:54 AM

Case : NZXT LEXA S LEXS. ( $79.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MotherBoard : GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155. ( $134.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU : Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz. ( $229.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram : Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600. ( $24.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU : EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5. ( $229.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD : Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache. ( $79.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU : CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified. ( $89.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R. ( $16.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

♣ TOTAL = $887.
now u have a really nice spec. to go for ultra in most games , and for the cpu if u want to overclock it and get a better performance you should buy an after market cpu cooler. and you can go for that one.

CPU Cooler : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO. ( $30.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the TOTAL WILL BE = $918.

( notice that without even overclocking it you still can smoothly play most of modern games smoothly).

GOOD LUCK ;) 
m
0
l
October 11, 2012 2:58:09 AM

mrdowntownkiller said:
Case : NZXT LEXA S LEXS. ( $79.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MotherBoard : GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155. ( $134.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU : Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz. ( $229.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram : Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600. ( $24.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU : EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5. ( $229.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD : Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache. ( $79.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU : CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified. ( $89.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R. ( $16.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

♣ TOTAL = $887.
now u have a really nice spec. to go for ultra in most games , and for the cpu if u want to overclock it and get a better performance you should buy an after market cpu cooler. and you can go for that one.

CPU Cooler : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO. ( $30.99 )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the TOTAL WILL BE = $918.

( notice that without even overclocking it you still can smoothly play most of modern games smoothly).

GOOD LUCK ;) 


Thank you! I will post if I build this, which I most surely hope to! =D
m
0
l
!