Wireless adapter kills L/R Arrow Keys, Home/End, Page Up/Down, Delete

silverb0x

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I have this horrible Compaq laptop. It is a Presario CQ62. I want to smash it.

The OS is Windows 7, a major problem in itself which requires other remedies.

The issue that randomly started happening one day, and won't stop, is that the left and right arrow keys, home and end, page up/down, and delete don't work. They do work, however, if I disable the wireless network adapter.

This is extremely annoying, and cripples the way I use the computer, becuase I use those keys a lot to navigate applications instead of clicking everywhere like a serf.

I did try uninstalling both the keyboard and network adapter in control panel, then rebooting so Windows would find them and reinstall the drivers. I thought maybe they would go on another IRQ or some crap. No help.

Anybody? My writing may be too subtle, so I should state plainly that I'm in a very bad mood because of this. Thanks for reading my post!

silverb0x

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Well, looking at the keyboard, it seems they've eliminated the num lock key. That's because there isn't a numberpad, because this computer was designed for people who can't use computers. I had an older model Compaq and it had a number pad as a second function of the j/k/l/n/m keys or something. But they got rid of it because serfs don't use the number pad.

It's also worth noting that if you hit the pg up/down keys, or l/r keys, in succession, or randomly go over the keys that don't work, it enters all sorts of trippy garbage keystrokes, launches browser windows, etc. so there is some type of conflict or error or something.

I am glad that YOU PREFER the keyboard. However many do not, including myself, and I am not a serf, so it is not a good idea to get on here asking for help and calling people slaves based on your shortsightedness.

silverb0x

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. I did mean to rail on Compaq and Microsoft for their products that seem to insult my intelligence a little bit more with every new release. The odd thing is that the number pad on a laptop doesn't affect anything unless you use the function keys to activate it, so why remove it unless you feel that none of your target customers will be an advanced enough user to desire it? I don't know. Well I'll quit shooting off at the mouth anyway.

So those are great links, but I fear this is some sort of software issue since the arrow, home/end, pgup/down, and delete keys do work fine if you disable the wireless adapter. any ideas? i may call myself an "advanced user" but i'm not advanced enough to deal with that.

The keyboard drivers are i8042prt.sys and kbdclass.sys and I can't find any replacements online for win7.

Also the network adapter is a "realtek RTL8191SE 802.11b/g/n wifi adapter" with drivers rtl8192se.sys and vwifi.sys.

Is there some sort of l33t source for drivers that I can't find just by google searching the filenames? I bet I'm missing something. I can start by at least replacing the drivers...

Well re-reading your original post shows that you deleted from Device Manager and rebooted and let Windows find them again.

I would go to COmpaq's website and download the the respective SP files for the the network card and any SP that they may have for the keyboard.

BTW, it was considered a very low priced laptop so one should not have expected high-end performance, etc.

What o/s did it come with? It looks like it may have even come with XP...so it might have some hardware compatibility problems with Windows 7.

What is the EXACT model number? Their support website lists about 45 different U.S. versions of your laptop.