Sign in with
Your question

$300-450 A10 5800K Mid range gaming budget PC

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2012 4:42:11 AM

I want to build a fairly cheap yet functional PC for my very first build. However I do have a few reservations in terms of whether or not all the components will work together or not, especially the Corsair 430 v2 PSU.

budget range: $300-450 before shipping, taxes.

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black gaming ATX mid-tower, comes with three fans - 54.99

RAM: G.SKILL sniper series 8GB(2 x 4gb) 240-pin ddr3 sdram ddr3 1866 desktop memory - 45.99

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 54.99 after $10 rebate

CPU: AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D -129.99

Motherboard: BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - $100

PSU: Corsair CX430 V2 Series CP-9020046-US 430W Power Supply - 80 Plus Bronze, single +12V Rail, AC Input 90~264V, ATX, 120mm Fan - $19.27 after $20 rebate
+ some random generic $20 optical drive

Together so far it's a total of $415 before shipping/taxes on newegg.ca

My main problem is whether or not the PSU will be able to work in a comfortable setting with these parts or not since it's a pretty cheap PSU although from a pretty good brand. What it's limitations are, what upgrades i wont/will be able to get in the future if I decide I want a discrete graphics card, and whether or not it's in a safe range to overclock with.

Also, If theres a mini-atx mobo out there thats cheaper then the one i have but still has a ton of capabilities I might consider swapping the one I currently have.(6bg sata 3's, crossfire support, decent amount of usb's, any other useful features ect.)

Approx purchase date: Within the next week or so. The PSU probably sometime before the 13th since its on sale for $20 if it turns out it can function within my build.

OS I already have one from a three pack.

Monitor I have 16 inch monitor lying around that I got for free from a relative, might want to upgrade to one that can display 1920 x 1080p but not really a priority.

HDDI have a 2TB seagate external harddrive that I plan to strip the enclosure from and use that as my main storage while my SSD can be used for the OS.

Might want to crossfire sometime in the future.

Might want to OC as well depending if I can or not. Not really a priority.

Why am I upgrading: I've had a crappy intel celeron laptop for the past 4 years w/ 1gb of ram 2.0 ghz processor that kept overheating every hour or so until I got a fan, think it's time for an upgrade. There are times I have trouble watching youtube videos on this thing. Want to keep things cheap but functional by building this build instead of a more expensive intel based one.
October 10, 2012 5:19:20 AM

What will this build primarily be used for? Also, you have no HDD listed.
October 10, 2012 5:47:49 AM

Opps forgot about that little detail.
1. I have a 2tb seagate desktop expansion drive that I plan to strip the enclosure from and use that instead.

2. Everyday uses, Gaming, Web Browsing with multiple tabs, mp3s, multiple applications (office, etc.), lots of multi-tasking in general. Something that can play most modern day games, but doesnt have to be on the highest end of the visual spectrum. Just something I can play on steam with my friends while having a skype convo with them.
Related resources
October 10, 2012 5:49:11 AM

Could you re-edit your post and use line breaks? It's really hard to understand what you are saying when it's just a wall of text.
October 10, 2012 6:08:38 AM

BreadWhistle said:
Could you re-edit your post and use line breaks? It's really hard to understand what you are saying when it's just a wall of text.

Its not that hard now

Also i know harlemheat will be fine with his PSU this build will barely ever see 200 watts at max load.
October 10, 2012 6:10:45 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jTTb $432 before rebates.

Excellent system for the money. I threw in a SSD to use as a boot drive because you stated you already have a hard storage drive. This computer will play most games at medium/ some on high settings. Has 8gb ram for multitasking and the motherboard will be good because it is am3+ so you can upgrade to a Piledriver CPU in the future.
!