Please Help! Should I upgrade Motherboard and Cpu?

Hello everyone! I am a noob at building systems. This is my Current system Which I purchased as a kit. ( but added / changed a few items)

Case: Cooler Master Haf x 922
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth x58
Cpu: i7 960 overclocked to 4.0ghz
Gpu: x2 Radeon HD 6870 Crossfire
Operating System: Win 7 Ultimate
Hard drive: Samsung 830 128 gb
2nd Hd for Applications : Patriot Pyro 120 gb
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24 Gb ddr3
Power Supply: 1000 watt Kingwin
Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100

My question is if I should upgrade my cpu and motherboard. I was thinking about getting the
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 with a Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz cpu. the rest of the components would remain in the case. I am a concept artist, and recently I have been doing a lot of 3-D modeling, photoshop etc. But I am also a gamer. But my main reason for upgrade would be to boost performance, get a better overclock than my current 4.0 ghz, and hopefully be able to use the full bandwidth of my ssd's. Right now they are running fairly slow. I understand that the Sabertooth x58 uses the Marvel chipset on their two 3gbs sata ports? I have been using the slower sata 2's for my ssd's. I did at one time try using 2 60 gb ocz's in raid 0 which improved speed, however I lost the configuration somehow, and lost some data. Would this new board improve my hard drive speeds? Would it be an improvement overall? or should I just scrap this whole idea and get a faster 2 gb GPU like the Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB GDDR5?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time posting here, so please be gentle. Im a noob remember!

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about please help upgrade motherboard
  1. Thats good to know. I am pretty confused about the whole thing. But your right, I dont want to get stuck just buying something different if there might be a bigger leap in technology just around the corner.
  2. as for my question though, would I see an improvement with ssd's using this board? Would this processer be a decent upgrade from what i currently have?
  3. I think you're casing your tail. BTW, if you change MBs you will need a new OS.
  4. Thanks so much! That is great information. I really appreciate it.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs Motherboards Systems