Can someone recommend a good after market cooler

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013
I have a larger mid tower system with 6 120mm case fans, however my CPU is still running a little hot. I had a stable overclock of 4GHz on factory cooling, however while gaming my CPU was hitting 60C and running Prime 95 it would top off at 65-67C. I don't want to be running my processor that hot so I just set the overclock at 3.8GHz until I can get an aftermarket cooler.
I have a very good power supply, and am currently running a Phenom II 965 BE. I have never bought an aftermarket cooler before and would like someone to recommend one that is reasonable in price, will do the job, and could handle the cooling on my next build (whatever AMD has to offer in a year or two when I have to upgrade the processor). I fully plan on using my current processor as I have a very good video card and will be able to game on it for at least the next year or two without worrying about it.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply. I just used Google to look up reviews on the Hyper 212 EVO and it looks to be exactly what I need. Have you personally used this cooler in the past? I have to admit I avoided going after market for a long time because when I bought the processor it said the warranty would be void if I used any heatsink other than the factory one. I just can't live with the high heat anymore though, I want the processor to last another year or two and its just running too hot. I know its considered to be "older" now but it handles Skyrim, and Far Cry 3 on all Ultra settings and I'm looking forward to rocking Crysis 3 as soon as I get my heat problem under control.
Tiger Direct has it on sell right now for 29.99 so I think I'm going to order it now. Thank you again for your quick response. :D