Integrated vs standalone graphics card

prestonee

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
So I was stoked like 5 yrs ago when AMD bought ATI. I thought having a cpu company with ownership of gpu design teams would allow a integrated cpu with more, yes more , performance then the cpu + a dedicated video card.

The reason I thought this was by having ownership of both the gpu and cpu architecture, interface and loading could be optimized.
also power could be reduced by eliminating the parasitics encountered when driving highspeed signals across pcb boards and pads. The lack of parasitics would also eliminate the RC time constant limitation of the interfacing between cpu and gpu. now thats my thoughts..

the question, why does this seem to not be the case?
and why is AMD SoC considered to be for low end PCs and why is are dedicated graphic cards still the king of gaiming pcs
I ask this also because I noticed the PS4 is using a processor architecture similar to the AMD Jaguar architecture but with 2x the cores. However the Jaguar architecture is targeting mobility platforms such as touchpads and ultrabooks. So why would a system use this in a console that is meant to compete with powerful gaming PCs?

-Pb

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
An APU has a cpu and a good gpu on the die itself .AMD has done this. And Jaguar is a low power APU , good for laptops. Jaguar was not meant for "powerful gaming pcs"
AMD's current apu for pcs is the A10-5800k , a new Kaveri architecture is coming up late 2013. with greater performance.

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Good question, Housing a powerful integrated graphics card onto a cpu will not only increase heat, it will mean that the processor would require more voltage and since both AMD and INTEL are trying to make their processors smaller and smaller (the 4th generation 22nm Ivy bridge cpu's that have just come out) Only so they consume less voltage and provide less heat with more performance. However the answer to your question will appear soon enough. AMD plans to launch the A10-6800K which will house a HD7670d Integrated Graphics solution which looks pretty damn strong and promising for a integrated graphics card.

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Yea it even has steamroller cores ! Have they released a date yet ?

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

AMD's Richland APU's are in their final stages of development. They're being put in Branded OEM systems right now and i guess AMD hasn't settled on a price point for it yet, so expect a better performance and range when they hit the shelves at Q4. Personally the Q system doesn't make sense to me but i'm guessing its gonna be mid april, don't take my word for it though cause like i said i don't know what the hell a "Q4" is haha.

Answering OP's question more thoroughly: You don't have to worry about the PS4 competing with gaming PC's.. The marksman for the PS4 isn't the 8 core CPU in it, Its the damn DDR5 system memory. Which will be shared with the GPU (which has close resemblance to a HD7850). However the good thing is that its based on a x86 architecture which means when the games will be ported to computers, they'll be in the same code thus ensuring same or better performance on the PC. Coming back to the CPU.. Its merely an upgraded version of AMD's (umm. ARGH what the hell was it? can't remember its name.. OH SCREW IT)- Its an upgraded version of the cpu the E350 CPU with 3x the cores and slightly better performance. However do keep in mind that all these 8 cores are clocked at 1.67Ghz so our current generation CPU's still stand tall against it.

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

AMD's Richland APU's are in their final stages of development. They're being put in Branded OEM systems right now and i guess AMD hasn't settled on a price point for it yet, so expect a better performance and range when they hit the shelves at Q4. Personally the Q system doesn't make sense to me but i'm guessing its gonna be mid april, don't take my word for it though cause like i said i don't know what the hell a "Q4" is haha.

Answering OP's question more thoroughly: You don't have to worry about the PS4 competing with gaming PC's.. The marksman for the PS4 isn't the 8 core CPU in it, Its the damn DDR5 system memory. Which will be shared with the GPU (which has close resemblance to a HD7850). However the good thing is that its based on a x86 architecture which means when the games will be ported to computers, they'll be in the same code thus ensuring same or better performance on the PC. Coming back to the CPU.. Its merely an upgraded version of AMD's (umm. ARGH what the hell was it? can't remember its name.. OH SCREW IT)- Its an upgraded version of the cpu the E350 CPU with 3x the cores and slightly better performance. However do keep in mind that all these 8 cores are clocked at 1.67Ghz so our current generation CPU's still stand tall against it.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Richland will actually have revised Piledriver cores. The steamroller cores will be out in the Kaveri apu in Q4.