Sign in with
Your question

Is My Build Ok?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 1:11:52 PM

Im going to build a new desktop. Will this work? Does it need any changes?

NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange Case
Corsair TX650W PSU
ASUS P8z77-V Motherboard
Intel i5 Core 3570k CPU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Corsair 8GB Vengeance [Low Profile] Blue RAM
Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Samsung 830 128Gb SSD
Western Digital Cavair Black 1 TB HDD
LG Blu Ray Disc Drive

Any help will be great, thanks!

More about : build

a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 1:25:48 PM

Your build looks great i wouldn't change nothing if i was you good job!
October 10, 2012 1:29:48 PM

Great build.

My only change MIGHT be Mobo to an ASRock to save a little money.
Related resources
October 10, 2012 1:51:21 PM

I'll review each component, and recommend some replacements.

The NZXT case looks great; my only suggestions are that you watch a youtube review video to learn about any possible problems, and compare the size of your graphics card to the space in the case. Note that the 7850 should be around 11 inches or 27 cm.

You can calculate how much power you need with this site. I you aren't planning on upgrading to 2 graphics cards in Crossfire in the near-future, 650 W should be more then enough for most upgrades.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

While the Asus P8Z77-V is by no means a bad motherboard, you can get all the same features, plus a few useful extras (like special heat spreaders) from the ASRock Extreme 4 or Extreme 6, both of which are also Z77 mobos. I highly, strongly, violently recommend you go for one of them, as it will save you a lot of money (around $40, if you get a good deal).

The i5 3570k is an excellent processor, but the only reason you need a -k processor is if you plan to overclock. If you're not going to fiddle around with GHz and multipliers, you can go for the normal i5 3550, its the exact same otherwise.

Here's a quick guide to overclocking, if you plan to do so:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...

And,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overcloc...

No problem with the CPU cooler. Might want to upgrade to a Corsair H80 liquid cooling kit if you plan to overclock the processor.

No problem with Corsair Vengeance. Make sure to use 64-bit Windows (or whatever your OS is) to use it, otherwise 32-bit won't see 70% of it.

While the Asus Radeon HD 7870 is a good 7850 variant, I'm going for the Gigabyte 7870 OC, because it has significantly better cooling (3 fans with some weirdly awesome design that causes excellent cooling) and its overclockable. I don't think the Asus is though.

No problems with the 830 SSD, but the Crucial M4 is the same price and a little faster.

No problem with Caviar Black. Might want to upgrade to 2 TB to increase your computer's lifespan.

I don't know much about the LG Blu Ray Drive, sorry. Make sure to read plenty of reviews about the products you're buying.

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 3:47:01 PM

Hey,

I've looked at so many reviews for the NZXT. The graphics card I've currently picked will fit, and if I do end up picking a larger one, there is a removable HDD/SSD drive case to allow for this.

I shall look into the PSU calculator at some point. Just to double check.

Yeh, I was looking at the ASRock Extreme 4, but all of past desktop builds have had ASUS, so kinda want to stick with. Money is no option.

I am possibly going to overclock, hence the 'K'. Wanted to buy it just incase rather than buying one without, then changing my mind and having to buy another.

With that in mind, if I do, I shall look at water cooling as the case Im getting has room for water cooling, and I also shall be using 64-Bit Windows 7.

Shall look into the Gigabyte Card and Crucial M4, see what I fancy :) 

1TB is more than enough, but I shall see how much more the 2TB is and decide then.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated! :) 
October 11, 2012 8:27:02 PM

Anytime. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2012 8:39:01 AM

zanedragonknight said:
Anytime. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

Cheers. I just realised I made a small mistake. Im going to be using the TX 650M PSU.

...and since I started this thread Im going to go for the 7850 instead of the 7870, cause I can overclock it to near the 7870 and I can save some money! :) 
October 12, 2012 11:56:40 PM

True, you can overclock it to be near the performance of the 7870, but I'd say to shell out a tiny bit more and get a full fledged 7870. This may be me being stupid, but I'd much rather get the completely functional card, as compared to the same card with a disabled core. Still, to each his own.

650 W sounds excellent. Remember that's more then enough, more or less, for future Crossfire support.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2012 10:11:20 PM

zanedragonknight said:
True, you can overclock it to be near the performance of the 7870, but I'd say to shell out a tiny bit more and get a full fledged 7870. This may be me being stupid, but I'd much rather get the completely functional card, as compared to the same card with a disabled core. Still, to each his own.

650 W sounds excellent. Remember that's more then enough, more or less, for future Crossfire support.

Yeh, good point there. Didnt really think abou that.

Nice one! Thankyou :) 
!