Planning to build a new pc on January 2013

voidfahrenheit

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
i want to build a new pc that i can use for gaming, photo editing, video editing, and planning to learn 3ds max. i dont know if i would go for NVIDIA or AMD gfx card. also i don't know which psu and cooling system i should use. i want to try OCing also. maybe if im gaming and once i've learned rendering in 3ds max.

so ive decided for the following:

Casing: HAF X

PSU: Cooler Master Gold 800W (is this fine? or buy lower W?)

Cooling System: i've read some topics about this and i saw the h100 corsair but most says air cooling is much better for the price.

Processor: i7-3770k 3.5Ghz 8MB LGA1155 (been lurking around the forum and decided to go for i7 because of the hyperthreading compared to i5)

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

Memory: also for the memory i would like to go for a 16gb or 32gb ram. which one is good for stable OCing?

HDD: planning to buy the black caviar 1tb

SSD: Crucial 256 GB m4 or lower for OS and Programs

GFX Card: Sapphire 7970 OC 3GB? OR EVGA GTX 670 4GB superclocked? or cheaper price GFX card?

i want to make my new build pc next year to be future proof also.

as much as possible the budget should be around USD1.6k-1.8k only

dingo07

Distinguished
+1^

there's no point in pricing anything when there will be new products and price drops for existing ones

do more research and read all you can on reviews for all the products

the most "future proof" you can make is about 2-almost 3 years worth buying the best products on the market at the time of purchase, but that price has always been more than 2K - the price of the parts has never really changed in relation to its performance

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Agree with above. The start you have now is great. Keep this idea, and watch for ways to improve it as prices drop and new products come out. Also, give yourself a couple weeks to purchase when you finally do decide to build -- that way you can take full advantage of monthly sales, etc.

I personally wouldn't buy a Coolermaster PSU (although this does look like a nicer one). I'd suggest Seasonic or one of the better Corsair units. For a single graphic card you do not really need more than 500w. 650w for crossfire. Whatever margin you want above that is your call.

I have a closed loop water system and honestly the gurgling sounds annoy me sometimes. If you have good case cooling I would just get a good air cooler.

I doubt you will really use 32gb of ram, even with video editing. Might be worth grabbing a two stick 16gb kit, then another later if you decide you want to.

If you have the money, stick with the larger SSD - moving programs from drive to drive is a pain, and you would be surprised how fast a 128gb drive fills up. Particularly if you are installing the adobe suite + etc.