• Radeon
  • Core
  • Crossfire
  • HD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 3:35:29 AM

I have a recently purchased XFX R6770 Core Edition(Model No. HD-677X-ZN Part No. HD-677X-ZNFR) from a local Best Buy. Apparently this model is unobtainable via any retail website (including Best Buy!). The only way I can find these online are 2nd hand or back for the very high price at my Best Buy store.

I'm dead set on running 2 of these in Crossfire X. There is a similar card Model# HD-677X-ZNFC available in many places that boasts the SAME details and abilities, but its a different model. It even looks the same. I have no clue what makes my R6770 Core Edition any different than a HD 6770 ZNFC, but I want everything to act and look the same.

Please give some advice! Will using the ZNFC be A-OK for my crossfire setup? Or has best buy screwed me by selling me this 'core edition' marketing bullcrap??

Thanks in advance!

More about : radeon 6770 crossfire

August 18, 2012 3:40:12 AM

I'm planning to spend 200-250$ to get a decent psu (currently using another Best Buy debacle Dynex 520w) and find a 2nd 6770 to Crossfire. If there is ANY sort of better option in this price range or suggestion on which card to buy as I'll take any advice at all.
m
l
August 18, 2012 3:42:13 AM

$250 on a PSU? And you want to run two 6770? Troll post?

Get a good ~$50-$75 500W PSU and a 7850,7870,GTX660TI. Dump the plans for 6770CF.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 4:16:25 AM

I'm sorry, the second post was a bit misleading. I have the 520w dynex psu and I'm looking to buy a second 6770 AND a psu for a total of $200-$250(~$100 psu and ~$125 gpu).

I'm looking for some sort of explanation on why I can't find the core edition of this gpu. If it makes no difference and that I could get the other model and it'll work just fine then perhaps I can go with that.

If (for the same 200-250 budget) I can do something completely different then I'm all ears. But my current best buy brand 520w psu already causes me some issues with my cpu power cord being too short(works, but I have to run it around the base of my gpu) and not having enough cords to power my optical, both HDDs, and both SSDs and is already killing me.

Rest of my newly revised computer is: i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-V LK, G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz, Hyper 212+, Rosewill Challenger, 2x OCZ Vertex 3's in Raid 0. It's a budget build and I'm trying to make the best of what I have already graphics-wise.
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:32:18 AM

But....I've seen and read some good things that 2x 6770's are just as good and slightly better than a single 6870. Maybe that's old news =/. My biggest mistake was buying anything from the shelves of best buy. I was hoping to make the best of a big mistake and CF another card and ditch this psu, but I guess I'm just in a bad situation all together.
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:50:34 AM

Chase A said:
But....I've seen and read some good things that 2x 6770's are just as good and slightly better than a single 6870.

That may be true, but there are a number of reasons why a single powerful is always preferable to two smaller cards.

First are temperature and noise. Having two cards will result in more noise and higher temps. And depending on the PCI-e layout of your mobo, if the cards are right next to each other, the card on the "bottom" will invariably run hotter.

Second is a phenomenon know as micro-stuttering. Basically the cards will take turns rendering frames (this is true for any multi-GPU setup). But that doesn't mean that they will always render in sync with each other. One card may render a frame very quickly, but then the next frame might take longer to render, resulting in micro-stuttering. You can read more about it here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

It should also be noted that micro-stuttering gets worse with weaker GPU's, such as the 6770.

Third is driver issues. Sometimes, certainly not always, but sometimes Crossfire support for a particular game can be completely broken, meaning that having two 6770's will perform exactly the same as a single 6770, or that you see only a slight increase from the second card. If that happens, you simply have to wait for a driver update from AMD to fix the issue.

I don't want to sound doom and gloom about multi-card setups, as they do usually work will great results, especially since all of the problems I listed are not guaranteed in any way (other than the first one). But until you get into the ~$300-400+ range of cards, it's almost always better to go with one powerful card.

So, yes, your best bet is probably to get whatever money you can for the Dynex PSU and 6770, put that money into your existing budget, and start over.
m
l
August 18, 2012 6:11:36 AM

I can see how every one of those issues makes complete sense. Thank you very much for the detailed input. I guess having 2x cards seemed much more aesthetically pleasing to me while making use of a prior(and completely misinformed) previous purchase seemed like win-win in my book. I will plan to get a solid psu in place asap and shop gfx cards until I can find the best possible deal on a solid upgrade from my XFX R6770 Core Edition(I'd still love someone to explain what this really is, why the hell I can't find it ANYWHERE online, and why it's all that Best Buy carries).

Thanks again!
m
l
August 18, 2012 6:32:49 AM

Chase A said:
Thanks again!

No problem.
m
l
!