Do I have enough power to overclock

huanwu26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I currently have an amd Phenom ll X4 965 at stock speed. I was wondering if I overclock it to 4.0GHz does my psu hold up?

Specs:
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz| XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD| 8GB TEAM Elite| MSI 970A-G46| NZXT Gamma| OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular ATX

The 4+1 power phase might limit you more than the power supply would, but the psu should hold up. A cheap raidmax psu 500watt ran my pc, single 6770 with the oc just fine, and thats when i had a 4+1 older msi motherboard. So u can overclock with the board, but its may limit how far u get.

huanwu26

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

So would I be able to oc my cpu to 4 GHz easy or would I have problems.

Well going straight to 4ghz is dumb lol as not every cpu is the same and some cant reach 4ghz, i got my x6 to 3.4ghz from 2.8 with the cheap psu, and the 4+1 motherboard, and it was known for vrm failure. Yours is not known for the issue, and u can overclock on it, but id start slowly going up 100mhz, until u reach a wall and tweak from there. If anything that will limit u from reaching 4ghz if the cpu can will be the motherboard.

Most new components have a temp range for auto shutdown, nor boot if an oc failure occurs, since ur psu isnt crap, id say nothing should rlly die in the process of attempting to reach 4ghz, just take it slowly and see what u can reach