Bios problem????

G

I have a HP 900mhz computer that has been having start up problems. I at first thought it was a Windows ME problem but I tried everything to troubleshoot with no success. I then started looking in my BIOS System (Phoenix 4.0 Release 6.0.J). Sometimes it locks up while its checking the extended RAM, other times it will not even start checking anything. (I'm left with a blank screen and the connect light on my keyboard flashing) Do you think its a faulty Bios or is there something I can tweak to fix this problem? Thanks.

What did you touch before it went bad?

If we can get a few hints as to any hardware or software changes that have happened, it may point in the right direction.

Failing that, and assuming you know all your BIOS settings, you could set them to default.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

G

I have made no hardware additions since late Aug. when I added a 256mb card. The only software I added was a game called "Yo mama Osama" from Twistedhumor.com which caused errors on my system. Little did I know that downloading the game caused a silent posting app and internet monitoring tool called "WNAD" to be added to my startup file. I have now eradicated every sign of that file from my computer so I assumed that it did not cause these start up problems. I have left my BIOS setting at default with the exception of the BIOS view screen which shows me each component as it is checked.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yep, looks like you installed a virus (no, not the one commonly known as ME, although that one is even worse). It might've infected your BIOS, too. Flash it and reinstall Windows, that's my advice.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Yep. I'd go with FB. If possible, run your critical files through an AV program and back them up. Format, flash etc. etc.

Go back to go, do not collect 200.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: