David

I have a number of Sierra software games on my computer.
Sierra Utilities is a software program included that
checks Sierra websites automatically for game update and
patches. I have 6 sierra products and this would help a
lot. However, auto update is unable to connect to the
internet, stating that my ISP may not be using
winsock32.dll. Specifically, the help page says this:

The SIGS server requires a 32-bit WinSock DLL. The
WSOCK32.DLL file may exist in your computer's
WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory, but your Internet Service
Provider (ISP) may not be accessing this DLL.

SIGS Automated Update Help

I spoke with a CS agent at comcast (I have broadband
(cable) internet) and they said they support it, and that
I need to contact Microsoft. I have tried running this
program in win 95 and win 98 compatibility mode...no joy.

However, in my windows/system dir, there is no
winsock32.dll, just winsock.dll If this is the problem
is there a way I can fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

David

Possibly a virus. Some viruses are known to replace winsock dlls.
By the way, the correct name of winsock32 DLL is ws2_32.dll.

--PA

"David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166b801c41c4d$b3716870$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> I have a number of Sierra software games on my computer.
> Sierra Utilities is a software program included that
> checks Sierra websites automatically for game update and
> patches. I have 6 sierra products and this would help a
> lot. However, auto update is unable to connect to the
> internet, stating that my ISP may not be using
> winsock32.dll. Specifically, the help page says this:
>
> The SIGS server requires a 32-bit WinSock DLL. The
> WSOCK32.DLL file may exist in your computer's
> WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory, but your Internet Service
> Provider (ISP) may not be accessing this DLL.
>
> SIGS Automated Update Help
>
> I spoke with a CS agent at comcast (I have broadband
> (cable) internet) and they said they support it, and that
> I need to contact Microsoft. I have tried running this
> program in win 95 and win 98 compatibility mode...no joy.
>
> However, in my windows/system dir, there is no
> winsock32.dll, just winsock.dll If this is the problem
> is there a way I can fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> David

David

Pav,
Sierra finally got back to me...update program they have
will not 'see' my cable modem on the ethernet port. To
use it I would have to use dial-up, and I don't see that
happening...I'll get the files manually one at a time
using broadband and still finish quicker...

Thanks for the help, though!

David