Sign in with
Your question

Not happy w/ performance from 2x 6770's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2012 5:24:13 AM

Alright so I have a Pc that I'm currently trying to get shipped because I moved but I don't want to buy a new GPU if not necessary.
My problem is that I have two Hd 6770's both 1Gb ( I think ) and when I use them my performance is really for lack of a better word meh.
I played battlefield 3 at 1680- 1050 with high-medium settings with both gpu's running and got O.K frames around 30-45 sometimes when playing operation metro it went higher. Also I wasn't recording or anything during these times. I've tried turning off Cf on certain games etc no difference at all. :cry: 
Since my Pc isn't currently with me I don't remember all of the specs but it was aprox this :

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel i7 ( Not sure about specifics ) ~ 3.5 - 4.0GHz ( I think around there. )
2x 6770's 1gb /ea
24Gb RAM
2TB SSD

So could you guys maybe give me a reason as to why these cards ran so terribly, because I really don't want to purchase another graphics card. :sweat: 
( I was looking at the Gtx 670.

Extra Info :

Gta IV at around 1920x1080 res ran at a smooth framrate only when settings were reduced to medium-high and shadows to low also low view distance etc.
Skyrim was playable on lower resolutions with high-medium settings with low shadows etc.

I've seen gameplay with just one 6770 running games like bf3 on ultra with 1080p resolutions with higher frame rates than me and their rigs aren't even as powerful as mine! ( Not saying I have a great rig or anything )

PS : Sorry for any spelling, grammar, punctuation mistakes I make, I'm really tired and I could not sleep until I found an answer for some closure or something so that I could actually make my decision on whether or not I should buy a new GPU! :sleep: 

More about : happy performance 6770

a c 91 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 5:33:11 AM

you didn't see BF3 playing at that res at those settings on that card.

you need a better card. preferably something like a 2gig 6950 on up.......... vram is important. 1gig cards aren't going to cut it. you really strangled a good system by dumping 2 low end cards on it.

( 2 one gig cards together do not equal 2gigs of avail vram, just one. ).

monitor-size/res.......... budget... ??
August 18, 2012 6:13:36 AM

Maybe not exactly at that res but pretty close and I'm sure my i7 was more than 3.5GHz also I did see someone playing with a possibly better but not by much pc with only 1gpu at those settings etc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThYmdCNVODo
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 6:18:54 AM

swifty_morgan said:
you didn't see BF3 playing at that res at those settings on that card.

you need a better card. preferably something like a 2gig 6950 on up.......... vram is important. 1gig cards aren't going to cut it. you really strangled a good system by dumping 2 low end cards on it.

( 2 one gig cards together do not equal 2gigs of avail vram, just one. ).

monitor-size/res.......... budget... ??

this is not true. a 1 gig card is fine at 1080p let alone at 1680x1050. how do i know? i run 2 6950s that have 1gb of vram and i NEVER max out the vram.
a c 91 U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:02:09 AM

good for you.
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:11:09 AM

gamerzspot said:

I've seen gameplay with just one 6770 running games like bf3 on ultra with 1080p resolutions with higher frame rates than me and their rigs aren't even as powerful as mine!

You've been led to believe this by people who have no interest in providing accurate information and just want you to like their Youtube video, but you truly have seen no such thing. BF3 gives TWO 7970s plenty to do at 1080p, so a stronger card is in order.
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:19:58 AM

What motherboard do you have? maybe the Pcie lanes aren't at optimum x16/x16, if you are running them on a 16/4 plate then I see an issue right there,
a two Terabyte ssd? 24Gb ram?
i'm seeing serious imbalances here, if you could afford 24Gb of ram (which is unneccesary for a gaming rig) and a 2Tb Ssd, why didn't you buy higher performance cards?
Ferrari with £10 retreads......
Moto
August 18, 2012 7:23:19 AM

To put it short you need a better GPU for what you want. It's that simple, those cards are not the most powerful things to game with. And keep in mind just because you throw 2x cards together doesn't automatically mean you get 2x more performance it doesn't scale that way, and some games scale well and others don't. Your better off buying the best single gpu card you can buy generally, it cuts out a lot of headaches. And latter on when it gets cheaper than you can buy the second if you feel the needs to. (or both at once if you got the cash)

Also don't rely on untrustworthy sites/sources to find out what kind of FPS you can get out of a GPU or computer parts. In general places that review computer hardware is where you want to start your research, this website is one of them.
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2012 7:27:55 AM

+1, the only fps measure I trust are the ones embedded in my own skull
:p 
Moto
August 18, 2012 2:17:44 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
What motherboard do you have? maybe the Pcie lanes aren't at optimum x16/x16, if you are running them on a 16/4 plate then I see an issue right there,
a two Terabyte ssd? 24Gb ram?
i'm seeing serious imbalances here, if you could afford 24Gb of ram (which is unneccesary for a gaming rig) and a 2Tb Ssd, why didn't you buy higher performance cards?
Ferrari with £10 retreads......
Moto

I think it was a Sabertooth x58?
And yeah I know the pc is good and the GPU isn't all that great, and I don't know why I said 2tb ssd I'm sorry I was really tired, I meant I had 2tb of SATA and I think a couple hundred SSD :D  but I did have 24GB ram the only reason my GPU is so bad is because I had a friend who owned a local tech-world and he used this rig for himself but I guess he never bothered finishing it (?)
and I didn't get better gpu's because at the time I got it I didn't ONLY game on the PC but now I almost exclusively play games on the PC.
!